Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rats usually don't fight, and I honestly don't know what happened as I was asleep, but I woke up to a loud scuttering noise. One of my rats was hiding while the other two were facing each other, they seemed to be very tense. They were all making a noise that sounded like bruxing, but it obviously wasn't. Once I came to my senses I quickly separated them and started giving them treats to distract them from the other. I noticed one of them, the one hiding, was walking weird, kind of like a rushed wobble. And he refuses to go to the bottom floor of their cage where his brothers are. I've been monitoring them but this all happened 5 minutes ago. All three of them are still very tense but after feeding they seem fine. One was asleep for a while, the other was in his tube, and another is on the top level of their cage. I'm glad they're separated but I'm worried that this has caused unnecessary tension, as they usually are really snuggly and close. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do for them? I don't want to possibly send one back because they're fighting, and I'm hoping it's just a one time thing but I want to prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
849 Posts
I would wait and watch but if they seem to have a bad fight again separate them for a few days then reintroduce them using the carrier method.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on there gender and age, but most rats fight for the Alpha position! It's totally fine if they fight.If your rats are babies, they might be play fighting (like lions). Personally, my rats fought all the time, and most where pretty bad, but they would always "make up".

One of the common play-fighting behaviors is pinging, a behavior that is sometimes compared to children playing tag. Pinging rats will appear tensed, but they will pounce on their opponents and then leap around the cage before coming back and pouncing on them again.
- found that on google
Hope this helped :)

·
Registered
Bruno Griffin and Bear
27 Posts
my rats did this all the time they would stare at each other on there hind legs (like a t-rex) and it has never been a big problem
if this happens right after cleaning the cage dont worry about it they are just reclaiming there teratorie

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on there gender and age, but most rats fight for the Alpha position! It's totally fine if they fight.If your rats are babies, they might be play fighting (like lions). Personally, my rats fought all the time, and most where pretty bad, but they would always "make up".

One of the common play-fighting behaviors is pinging, a behavior that is sometimes compared to children playing tag. Pinging rats will appear tensed, but they will pounce on their opponents and then leap around the cage before coming back and pouncing on them again.
- found that on google
Hope this helped :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah my girls still do this at night sometimes when they're in a playful mood and they do get loud. When they first started it as babies, I finally slipped up on them and watched by the night light to see what was going on because every other time I had rushed in and they would freeze and stare at me. The whole thing is crazy feeling when you don't know what they're doing! Now I only rush in if it sounds like someone fell or the squeal miss really loud.

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
417 Posts
How are they?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts