Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
within the last day, on of my rats has started squinting its eyes alot. what should i do, i'm not shure if its something that will just pass or if its something that i need to take it to the vet for. i wanted to get some oppinions from here b4 i take him to a vet, because i'm almost broke as it is, and i dont want to be charged a fee just to be told that its something that will pass in a couple days.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
What sort of bedding do you use? It could be dust or other such debris irritating the eyes. (I am assuming it's both eyes you are talking about, although this would be much more common in one eye only)

However, squinting is not normal in rats - so if they do it, you tend to know there may be a problem. I'd reccommend calling your vet, asking their advise. But in the meanwhile, you can always purchase some regular saline eyedrops and attempt to wash his eyes, see if that helps. It'll also help wash out any discharge that may be present, so you can notice it.

Does he seem to have any sensitivity to light? eg does this more during the day or in bright areas?

Squinting on it's own isn't a huge issue, but it can be an indicator that something more serious is going on. Better to be safe than sorry, I'd call your vet and see what they suggest you do.

·
Registered
418 Posts
He uses Carefresh. This rat in particular has ruby eyes.
I know the pew's and some ruby eyed rats are known to have poor / worse vision.
I know I have had rats look like they are squinting or winking but if I wipe their eye, it was just like sleepers or something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup, that worked, i rubbed its eyes a little and he stoped squinting, hopefully thats it, but if it persists in the next day or two i'll call a vet

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
it could be the carefresh

try using a different litter before going to the vet

I have had several rats have bad reactions to the carefresh so I eventually stopped using it. In the KISS plan (keep it simple stupid) I keep things as uniform as possible, find what works for all parties involved.

Yesterday's News is a bit pricey for the large numbers I have at home so I went with a more cost effective Shredded Aspen bedding.

Since I switched I have not had any more eye problems or sneezing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts