Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has taken a sudden and drastic turn for the worse. Just a few days ago I discovered some lumps along his back and side. Last night I saw him stumble down the ramp from their cage, odd but he seemed OK otherwise. Tonight he's in really bad shape. He can't even walk, he just drags his hind legs, and now he's just sleeping on the floor of the cage on his side. I'm not sure he's even going to survive the night. :(

I wish I knew what was wrong with him and why it all went wrong so fast. He's not even 2 years old and two weeks ago he seemed perfectly fine. Heck just this past Tuesday he was chasing Buddy around and pinning him. How could he decline so quickly?

If he survives the night I'm going to call the vet first thing in the morning and see if there is anything they can do for him, but I'm not very optomistic. He's in really bad shape. :(

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just went to check on him and he was gone. :(

Goodbye my sweet Tempy. I'll miss you. :(

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'm so sorry, this sounds horrible and very fast. Its likely he had some sort of systemic infection, causing glands to swell up or from abscesses bursting internally. Unless you've got meds on hand theres often very little you can do as its something that moves horribly fast.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no I hope it wasn't just an infection. I have plenty of antibiotics on hand. He was on a 10 day course until last Tuesday for a URI. I stopped giving them to him because his breathing sounded better. I found the lumps a couple days layer. In the other thread where I found the lumps we discussed that maybe the lumps were some sort of alergic reaction to the meds so I never even considered restarting them. If this was something I could have prevented.... :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts