Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tempy is a big rat, at least 50% bigger then my other 3, just in overall size. But lately he's looking a bit fat. He's got some rolls on his neck and he look pudgy around the middle. I'm worried he might be getting obese. How do you get a rat to lose weight? We don't feed them much in the way of treats other then a couple times a week I give them some veggies. (Broccoli, kale, tomatoes, cauliflower, peas) Other then that we let them free range on Oxbow which they don't seem to go through that fast. (Fill their bowl maybe every 4-5 days) Maybe I'm just wrong? He doesn't feel squishy at all. In fact he feel like a solid muscle when you pick him up. But he looks chubby, especially around his neck and face.

Any advice?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Do you have a few photos of him? Rats come in all different shapes and sizes, and especially alpha males can be big. The best gauge is "feel" and, failing that, we can "look".

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
My way of telling if a rat is overweight or not is as follows;

Top down stretched out view (i.e. them running along the floor, or sniffing something) - are there shoulders, waist and bum the same width, if so good, if they bulge in the middle they are fat, if there bum is a lot bigger than there shoulders then they may be not climbing enough or a bit fat.

Lieing down - if the rat "pools" when they lie down they either have baggy skin or are too fat. A small amount of spread is ok as the muscles relax bu they should look oval shaped or worse like a pizza rat.

standing up - there belly shouldnt protrude forwards (unless they are pregnant)

Feel - they should feel firm to the touch and solid, ina young rat they should feel boney. Running your hands down the body from head to toe should eb nice a smooth and tubular, not bulge out at the waist. Its worth noting a rat (especially buck) can feel really solid and brick like but still be overweight. It depends on where they carry there fat, if its above the muscle they will feel squishy when fat, if its below the muscle they will feel firm when fat (and this is actually the worse kind of fat as its around the organs). After a while you do get a feel for this but its not something thats easily explained.

Activtiy level - a fat / obese rat will tire more easily than a slim one, they will be less active and noticably less able/stable when climbing etc.

If your guy is looking like he might be too fat then the best way to diet when the fatty is in a group is as follows
1, reduce the overall amount of food the group, in your case this means working out what they eat in a 24 hour period and taking 10-25% off that figure and putting only that in the cage.
2, Rather than bowl feeding try scattering it around the cage, this increases the activity levels of the group, evens out eating more and also rewards the more active rats over the slower
3, Take mr chubby out of the group for the first 15 minutes that food goes in. During this time get him to do any exercise you can manage. I useually get them to climb up the cage a few times, run up the stairs or maybe clamber from the rat room floor back to there cage. I build this up by getting them to do one cage climb for instance, then they go back in with the food, next time they run up it a bit faster, the time after i might make them do 2 climbs and so on
4, Look at the cage set up, you want to remove any ramps or easy ways around the cage and make sure the food, water and fave nexting place is widley spread and at different heights so they have to climb around a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts