Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to introduce the new girl,Marble but they attack her and she is missing a few spots of fur. I allways stop the fight as son as I see it and I'm affraid to let them be together. All the older girls are 7 months and up and Marble is almost 4 months. I've had many a rat and I've never had this sort of problem. I take them out 1 on 1 and only Juniper doesn't attack but she's alway been a kiss a** type of girl... Plaese Help! I don't want Marble to have to live alone. :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
How have you been introducing them?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put one of the other girls on the bed with Marble and let them "play" but it always goes bad...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bathroom is an evil place! Or so they think... The only thing they do is look for a way out. No socializing of any kind happens in the bathroom.

·
Registered
798 Posts
well maybe if they all have one common goal in mind, in this case, escapeing, than they will be less likely to hurt the new comer, and more likely to work together, rats are smart, give them an oppurtunity to fool you and they will.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I know!! But another thing is I don't have a tub... so escaping into the rest of the house is HIGHLY posible so I don't take them in unless they'er getting a bath and then only 1 at a time.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Definately make sure it is neutral territory. Find another place if the bathroom is not possible.

I would give them a week of chill time. Rats are smart and can remember past bad experiences and will associate this girl with a bad experience. You MAY want to try introducing the girl that gets along with the new girl in the mean time (and only that girl) and possibly plan on the potential of having to have two cages.

After that week or so is up, try putting their cages close together. Switch out rats to the opposite rats cages for short periods of time and keep increasing in length just for them to get used to that other rats smell. They are being very territorial it sounds like, so if they start learning that this rat belongs in their territory as well they will start to chill.

Once that has been done for a few days, THEN bathe all of the rats and put vanilla on their scent spots. Try introing one at a time in totally neutral territory. You may even have to tape up a cardboard box or something of that nature. Make sure it doesn't smell like any of the rats. Intro them one at a time for a very short time and give them a treat after if they haven't shown any signs of aggression. Keep expanding that time every day and giving them a treat.

You can't rush it with this, but this is what I recommend. It may take a month or two of trying, and that is why I recommend introducing her to the girl she seems to get along with and caging them separate. This is why I only want to get my rats in twos from now on lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where/what are scent spots? :?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The spots on a rat that seem to hold their scent the most. So just dab one on the back of the neck and another near the gential/anal area.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts