Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two little guys I got from a breeder. I really think that he delivered them to me too early. I have been trying to supplement with added protein. After over 16 weeks, they are still under 200 grams. Is there any way to get more growth? I know they are not dwarves as their weight is over that. I wanted to introduce them into the mischief but now I am afraid that their size might hurt them. I got a 3rd boy after them and he is around the same age but is growing faster.

Also, I don't know if this means anything but both of the young guys' scrotums are not fully covered in fur. The other guys with hair have fur completely covering. Is this an indication of anything?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's very possible that the breeder gave them to you too early. I had a breeder do that and he claimed that she was 4 weeks old, but when I got her she was small. She ended up being the smallest of my rats and I came to realize that she must have only been about 3 weeks of age.
I'm also currently going through stunted growth in two of my baby rats. They are refusing to eat any solid foods. Have you observed them eating their lab blocks? What brand are you feeding them?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are eating fine. I think I got them at 4 weeks. They were supposedly weaned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What brand of food are you feeding them? It could be that they're not getting the proper vitamins and fats.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand of food are you feeding them? It could be that they're not getting the proper vitamins and fats.
I am feeding Oxbow adult and have been supplementing with various baby foods that have extra protein. This has worked in the past under advisement of my vet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I suggest feeding the oxbow young rat and mouse food.
The young rat and mouse food has 3% more crude protein, 2% more crude fat,
%0.20 more calcium, and %0.20 less phosphorus. I know it doesn't seem like much, but seeing as it's supposed to be the main thing they eat it makes a difference. And I get that your supplementing, but personally I believe that it would be better to go with the young rat and mouse food.
Also have the vet check if the bottom teeth are overgrown. With my stunted babies their bottom teeth grew faster than them making it hard for them to eat so I had to take them to the vet to get them trimmed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts