Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But Terrance seems very food-moody.

He sometimes (maybe 30% of the time) takes peas, raisins, carrots, apples, and a tiny tiny piece of bakers chocolate a day for his infection (smaller than a chocolate chip, cause he's small).

But he won't take from me:
seeds, pears, a few types of cereal (even fruitloops, I tried, just to see if he'd take one, and nothing), peaches, chicken, zuchinni, peanut butter, baby food, apple sauce...

I don't know what the problem is, he eats almost all of these things when they are in his food dish, but sometimes when I put them near him, even then, he just seems to not want them. I guess that means he doesn't like them very much? But I don't know what else to try.

I don't think that it's ME, he likes to be petted and will crawl around on me, seems comfortable enough around me (though less since I've started administering antibiotics). And Basil seems pretty uncomfortable around me, but even still she'll take any "treat" I give her.

How am I supposed to give him treats if he rarely seems to want anything I give him?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Bacardi is like that as well... except he won't take anything except yogies, which I don't exactly want to give him all the time... :(

·
Registered
527 Posts
my girls don't take treats out of my hand (although i've only had them for 2 days), but when i hide them around the cage & they find them they eat them. :]
maybe he's just doesn't want the treat at the particular moment you give it to him? :eek:

·
Registered
532 Posts
that's how Skunk is! Panda goes crazy for peanut butter, applesauce, and chicken, but Skunk won't take any of it. i guess all you can do is keep offering different things in different places to see if it is the food or the place that is bothering him.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have one rat who will take them, but then put them down and come back for another one. I've never actually seen her eat them.

Since you've tried quite a variety there, I guess your rat just isn't interested.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a rat that refuses all treats - even and especially peas and yogies!
He loves his lab blocks and tolerates the sue bee mix, but hates treats of all sorts.

I just chalked it up to that some rats are a pain about trying new things just as much as some humans are ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.