Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat was tilting her head and had trouble walking last Christmas , but then we took her to the vet and got baytril for an ear infection and she went back to her usual shy self . but then she started running in circles and tilting her head slightly again so we took her to the vet and got more baytril and he said it was an ear infection cause a tumor wouldn't have responded to the medication last time. So I started giving her baytril once a day about 5 or 6 days ago. But today I noticed she was sneezing blood and it was still wet because I put my finger on her nose and it rubbed off on me. She doesn't seem to be getting better. She still runs in circles and tilts her head. I saw a tiny bit of blood on my other rats nose but it might have just been a cut not sneezing blood. Could it be contagious ? Is it too late to separate them ? And I don't know when we will be able to go back to the vet . the vet might not be available and my mom doesn't care as much as I do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It doesn't sound like the baytril is working. You should see some improvement after this many days. Maybe make a call to the vet to see if they'll prescribe a different antibiotic to try? Baytril and/ or Doxycycline only really works for Myco, and this doesn't appear to be Myco related. Also are tou seeing an exotic vet with experience treating rats? If not, it might be a good idea to look for one who has more experience with ratties.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Get a second opinion and a stronger medication

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also recommend getting a second opinion. Also, everywhere I look, I see that Baytril is administered twice daily.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has gotten better , but it still seems like she's mentally insane running in circles for hours on end

1 - 6 of 6 Posts