Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adopting my 2 male babies on Friday after work from Petco and not the petshop near us. I went there today on my lunch break and saw that they had quite a few. I can't wait.

·
Registered
173 Posts
have you thought of looking for a rescue?

=( make sure the rats at petco are breathing normal and are playful and hyper when you ask to hold one. Keep close watch on them if you get them as pet store rats are prone to illness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to adopt at the petshop near us that sells feeders. Then was told that I'm only contributing to them taking on rats just for that purpose. Someone mentioned Petco/Petsmart so I went there today. How can I find a Rat rescue in my area? Riverside, Ca.

·
Registered
173 Posts
petfinder.com is the most common way to search. Give me some time and i'll do a search for you. If there's not a rescue near you there is most likely a breeder near you (living in CA there's a LOW chance that there's NOT a breeder near you) A GOOD breeder breeds for temperment, and health mainly, not just looks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i checked petfinder and there's only single rats up for adoption in places that i am unsure how close to you. There's also links on the breeders website for some other rattery's. ^_^ i think they have dumbo's!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think you'd be better off getting a rescue or a breeder rat, by getting rats at petco your contributing to the MASS breeding of rats, which is the SAME as feeder rats, they just pick out the "pretty ones". (I DO have rats from a pet store, but i work there and they get them from a private breeder) Pet store rats can be very unsocial and timid, It would take a lot of work and money if you get sick ratties, not to mention heartbreaking. If you didn't make a connection to any of the rats at petco then buying from a breeder is your best bet that your buying not only a friendly pair of rats, but a healthy pair that have been taken care of properly their whole lives as opposed to a rat that was housed with thousands of other rats, and has been exposed to countless viruses, illness' and will most likely have poor genetics and a shorter life span. =(

sorry if i keep bugging you about it, but if your serious about ALL rats, not just the ones you want as pets you'll understand.

<3 the BEST of LUCK!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I know we're such horrible party-poopers, aren't we?

My first four boys are from Petco. The agouti boy is small, skittish, but healthy. The black hooded boy was almost completely unsocialized when I got him, and bit me repeatedly and my roommate once (and her dog once, but the dog deserved it!), the black one (who looks brown for some reason) was friendly, but had awful sneezies for a long while. He's very quiet still, a little shy of strangers, but loving. The fawn hoodie was friendly, healthy, but he gets more porphy than I'd like sometimes. Darn rats making me worry. :lol:

The last two boys are rescues. The first variberk is VERY friendly, very excited about everything, loves to hand wrestle and such. The second is friendly friendly to me (just not the first four boys... yet.)

What I'm trying to say is that the temperment and health of a pet store boy can be hit or miss, while those cared for by a person used to ratties will be a better bet (or at least you'll know what you're getting into before you take them home. :) )

·
Registered
173 Posts
PLus they're right in your area, I wish there was a GOOD breeder in CT that was close by. =( I would have gone the breeder way, but i love all my pets, and i'm glad i got them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts