Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The freaking cutest and sweetest rat is at my local humane society. I went to visit him and he is such a little angel.

I can't bring an intact male in. I'd pick him up in a heartbeat if I could get him neutered. If he isn't adopted soon, he'll be euthanized. They don't keep rats long there. I saved Sophie from them... I'd give anything to rescue him.

Anyone want to pitch in for a neuter? My vet fund is tapped out at the moment. LoL

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
How much does a neuter cost at your vet? Can't she make a 6 month payment plan or something? It is so sad that this shelter destroy any rat so quickly? I mean what it is to them to keep him around, it isn't like them have dozens of rats anyway! Is there a rat rescue close by?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is one in Appleton which is several hours away. I'm thinking of snatching him up to give to them. He's special. Really special. Rat neuters are $60 at my vet but I just don't have it.

All my extra money is spent and I don't want to touch my rat's medical account for this. It's already running low.

http://www.petango.com/sms/photos/101/24f929ec-c408-4232-924a-2f6ab786a64f.jpg

Sadly, my vet doesn't offer payment plans. It is, unfortunately, in an unsavory area and they have experienced too many people skipping out on their bills. I've seen the owner get in heated arguments with people over that. Not a pretty sight. LoL

·
Registered
278 Posts
$60 for a neuter is unbelievably cheap compared to the price here :eek: it's $70 just to see a vet where I live, let alone for any medication or procedures.
Is it possible for you to maybe take him in temporarily and find him a new home? Or maybe find a vet who offers a payment plan so you can get him neutered?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know myself. If I take him him, I won't be able to let him go. LoL I have nowhere for him. My neutered male is a ravenous serial killer who likes taking unprovoked chunks out of random rats so he lives alone. The only option would be in a cage with the girls which is where a neuter comes in.

I'm working on it. I'm going to contact rescues in the area tomorrow. This little man is amazing. He NEEDS a home. Maybe I'll call around for a neuter. I really don't want to let this guy down.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't you just take him in for now and save up the money for the neuter?
Yeah but with so many girls, I am SO scared of accidental pregnancy. I know you breed so you have both. How do you make 100% sure the girls and/or boys don't go crazy, break out, and have massive amounts of unplanned babies?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
What cages do you have? If you have critter nations, no rats can break out of those. Never have a cage opened while you open/feed other rats. Rats can't breed through the bars of a cage.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Ferret Nation, which is a Critter Nation with larger bar spacing. I got that cage for free but since the spacing is so wide, I had to put hardware cloth around it.

That is the "bottom cage".

The top cage is a Petco Rat Manor type cage. I can't find the exact model, but it has plastic ramps and shelves. Tiny bar spacing, but doesn't close as securely as a Critter Nation.

Guy is in some really dumpy cage but we wouldn't need to worry about him getting anyone pregnant. This guy would have to go in my vet carrier, which is a plastic dog travel carrier until something is done about him.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yeah but with so many girls, I am SO scared of accidental pregnancy. I know you breed so you have both. How do you make 100% sure the girls and/or boys don't go crazy, break out, and have massive amounts of unplanned babies?
lol If the cage is secure you really shouldn't worry too much.

In general no one really cares about the other sex when they are in their respective cages, even being in the same room. If Ihave them out and they get to the other cages they can be a bit nutty. So I would say if they haven't tried to escape before it is likely safe.

But you could just keep the boy temp in another room?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other room is an option I suppose. It'd be a lonely life in the Ebay storage room for him but it could work temporarily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found the listing for "Balto" as I live in WI as well. He is at a humane society and I could've swore that humane societies do not euthanize unless under special circumstances and NEVER due to space issues. At least the one near me follows that.
If you can't even afford to neuter him and/or to find him an additional cage for the time being then you cannot afford to have him at all then, right? There are cheap, alternative temporary ones especially decent ones that are geared towards guinea pigs. My male rats are in metal bar/plastic bottom cages and they never broke out. So if you put your new rescue in there temporarily, I highly doubt he'd break out. I'm sure he'd find a good home with you and there should be a way you can adopt him. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
You don't have a friend he could stay with until you find him a good home? He sounds like a great little fuzz, it would be a shame if he were put down. :/

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My ex works there. He was/is in charge of euthanizing. He told me "unwanted" animals are euthanized all the time... especially small animals because they rarely get adopted. There are three chapters of our Humane Society. The one in my city is a dump. Locally it is called "Auschwitz for animals" while the other two get way more adoptions, more traffic, more funding, and are certainly much nicer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what I am basing it on. I HOPE I'm wrong.

I 100% agree with not taking him in due to not having the extra funds for a neuter. Spicy's recent medical issues tapped me out and I only have enough saved for vet emergencies for my current mischief.

I could certainly bring him in and house him. I have plenty of plastic bins that could be safely converted. I'm just a bit torn. It's a bad situation. Bad time. I'm going to do my best to not let this little man down.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll pitch in for a neuter:) what about $30? Would that help you enough?
No. I was kidding about donations! Sheesh. I'll save the little man. I'm going to make some arrangements and pick him up this week if nobody else takes him.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
No. I was kidding about donations! Sheesh. I'll save the little man. I'm going to make some arrangements and pick him up this week if nobody else takes him.
Ah ok great. I thought you were serious, as you talked about all your extra money being already spent and the vet fund low...Anyway, I'm happy he is going to be saved:)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate it, but I'd never take money from people for something like that. It was just a rant.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had boys in the top half of a DCN with girls in the bottom with no problems. $60 is insanely cheap. My vet charges $200. I would take him and save up to get him neutered. He'll be happier in a tiny cage for a few weeks while you get the money and then while he recovers than he would be having to cross the rainbow bridge so soon. If possible you might could keep his temp cage in another room if you're really worried?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is probably what is going to end up happening, Ray. I have enough for the neuter now, technically... but I don't get paid again until the 8th and I might have an emergency pyometra surgery coming up before then. Fingers crossed she won't need it, but I need to have those funds available just in case.

No matter what, the little guy is going to have a home. If not with me, I'll find someone. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts