Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, you will come to this forum because one day reading one of my favorite works almost like brothers comic, in one of their chapters they talked about having a rat as a pet, and the truth is that the idea was interesting to me, and for this reason I would like to carry it out, however I would like you to give me advice on everything you need to take into account to have this pet animal

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow welcome to the world of the rats 😁!! Here are the main points:
  • Just like the dog world there are places to get a rat and places not to get a rat, good places to get them include good breeders and good rescues: Rat Breeder Red Flags List
  • The main diet should consist of some kind of rat pellet, the best one to get is Oxbow. After this maine diet you can also add some mix into the the food just make sure your not giving to much and your giving healthy and safe rat food: Forbidden Foods List
  • Rats need to be bought in at least pairs since rats are super social animals, because of this you will also need to spend lots of time with them.
  • The best cage to get is the critter nation which is the biggest and easiest to clean, if it's to expensive you can find them used
  • Rat's are very intelligent creatures and therefore need tons of enrichment and fun, this is actually the main reason rats make great pets since they love playing with their humans: How to Provide Environmental Enrichment for Your Pet Rat
  • Girls vs. Boys: Girls are more active and love to engage in play fighting you, boys get a tiny bit bigger and as they get older they become calmer.
  • When your rats first come home or if they are timid the best way to introduce yourself is with the trust training technique: Trust Training Rats = Patience, Time... and Treats! | Small Pet Select
  • You also have to remember that although most rats are confident, rats are small prey animals so remember to be patient when your rat is afraid of something
Alright I hope I didn't scare you, rats are definitely worth your time and effort they are so intelligent and loving, if you do get rats make sure to research a ton! If I left anything out just ask

1 - 2 of 2 Posts