Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my new lovely little rattie a couple days ago. She's only three months old, so she sleeps a lot. I don't have much in her cage since my boyfriend just bought it for me.

1st lvl- hammock, (she doesn't crawl into much, anyone know why?)
2nd lvl- food and water bowl, and treat basket
3 lvl- igloo, and a tiny tunnel

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Oh,
and I do plan on getting her a friend, I want to get a dumbo rat because I just think that they are the most adorable things. =^-^=

And, I have another idea. I have an older cage where I want to connect a clear tubing to it and any suggestions for the tubing would be lovely!
One from the new cage to the old cage, kind of make it fun for her to "travel".
I've been brainstorming to make the old cage like a theme room for her. So any ideas on that too, that would be lovely!~~~~~

Sorry for the wall of text. :/

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Three months isn't that young... but most rats sleep a lot, especially when they're new to a situation... :lol:

Maybe she's never used a hammock before, or she doesn't want to use it right now... or it's too warm for them, or something.

You could try tying things to the top of the cage for her to grab at... treats, feathers, scraps of fabric, etc... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's very bashful. I got her from a petstore and she was the most adorable one there!
She was very active on the way home but now all she does is sleep. I thought it might be because her cage is boring. :/

I've tried sitting her in her hammock but she is displeased at that. xD
She immediatly climbs out of it and gives me a look like, "what are you thinkin' foo?!"

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
She may sleep a lot because she's lonely. Rats do best in groups.

Also, the pet store may be wrong about her age. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Forensic said:
She may sleep a lot because she's lonely. Rats do best in groups.

Also, the pet store may be wrong about her age. :)

Getting her a friend may be the best thing u would ever do for her social life. Take a pic of ur rat next to a ruler.. This may help more experience people on here to verify the age of the rat. As far as making the cage more fun. Cloth tunnels are easy to hand sew and fun for the rattie. The more creative you are with the toys and accessories the more fun they seem to have. A wheel might be able to get her exercise but i do not yet have experience with a good wheel. All it seems u have in her cage is things for her to sleep. Hammocks(bed) igloo (house to sleep in) A new friend will give her something to do.

SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO GIVE LITTLE CAT TOY BALLS (JINGLY ONES).... she may chew it up and choke on the bell inside of the ball.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shall get a picture of her sometime soon that away, I can find out her age.
Yeah, I need to get her a cage mate. I let her have a lot of roam time because I know that her cage isn't very entertaining. And, I've started on my own little cloth tunnel today. xD

Any suggestions or anything like that on how to connect to cages though?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well i have an idea.. u could make a cloth tunnel that connects the 2. U should use a tough thick cloth like old jeans double layered or something. If you dont like that idea u can make a tunnel out of a wood base and hardware cloth for the roof of the rectangular tunnel.

An easy hard tunnel could be large white pvc tunnel. : ) Some pvc can be harmful but in your case the pvc would be too thick for normal ratties to chew and injest. Good luck and for clarification heres a picture.

hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like to give my ratties a box with shredded news paper and hide yogies in it. You can also make hanging toys out of dog treats (I use organic vegetarin ones). My ratties love to tear them apart and drag the ribbon places...hehe.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't think there's any cloth a rat couldn't chew through. I wouldn't use it to connect cages, because if they do chew through they could escape.

Get some feathery cat toys ^_^ Rats go crazy for those things. I like to put them right outside the cage, either on the top or on the side, so the rats have to grab them and pull them into the cage themselves. Gives them something to do for a while, and then they get to rip it apart ^_^

Edit: Also, I sometimes toss a roll of toilet paper that's almost gone on top of the cage. They'll pull the toilet paper in, and shred it up and use it as nesting material. They love anything they're not "supposed" to get at - as in, anything not in the cage. So make sure nothing gets too close to their cage! I lost a shirt and my favorite shoulder bag that way :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I learned that quick with my other rat, not to leave stuff beside the cage. I left a treat bag full of her favorite treats and when i woke up the next morning, she had pulled it through her cage and ate ALL the treats. xD
EDIT:
I put some more tunnels in her cage and she loves it! She constantly crawls through it.
I've made it harder for her by adding some twists and turns. xD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts