Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many, I came into the world of rats now knowing nearly enough. It started with a feeder my snake wouldn't eat who I decided to keep. But I was keeping her alone in a tank, her diet was pretty good but not perfect. Thanks to this forum, her diet is much better, and she has a big cage and a sister on the way for her. And I continue to learn every time I visit this site! So, thanks so much you guys for being here doing what you do for the rats :) The most helpful thing I read on the site besides practical info, was that rats aren't truly to be considered rodents, but rather intelligent pack animals, like dogs. This changed my whole view of rats in general and mine in particular. I am spending a lot of social time with her and teaching her fun games. I have noticed greta improvements in her as well--she used to be a bit aggressive but has calmed down a great deal. I can't wait for the years and rats to come, to someday get my own child rats.... :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
There's no denying that snakes can be strikingly beautiful animals, and very likely they do have some degree of intelligence, but when you actually start communicating with a rat that is so intelligent and is wired very much like we are that you begin to realize which of the two species makes for the better pet and companion.

Without taking anything away from snakes, it can be a real surprise for many rat owners that started out with snakes just how much more interesting and fun their rats are than their snakes were... I suppose you call that evolution...

Best luck with your new furry friends.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice to read your positive post, erinsweeny! That's so great you're spending lots of time with your rat and that you're teaching her games. It's also wonderful she has a sister on the way!

I remember when I first discovered the joys of having pet rats.....it's pretty amazing what incredible little beings they are, isn't it?!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts