Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so my rats are on thier final mite treatment (Yay!) and after I give them the revolution, they have to be seperated for three hours. Okay, so I put one rat in a gerbil cage temporarily (I put them in there when we take them for nail clippings or when I'm cleaning thier cage) and I leave. Three hours later I come back, and my rat (the one in the gerbil cage temporarily) got her feces ALL OVER THE CAGE. There were small brown stains on the bars, but wierdest of all, there was a big clump of it cemented to the water bottle nozzle!

So I have two theories;

One, one of her droppings got wet, her paws got into it, and she made a mess. I say this because the water moved a little, and when that happens it drips for a couple minutes, so the droppings could have easily been wet. Then she stepped on it and it stuck to her paws, and she tried to get it off on the nozzle. There was still a bit left on her paws, and so when she was doing her normal climbing the bars and such, it stuck to it. (This is the one I'm pretty sure is what happened).

Two, was she had a bit of diarrhea. I only say this becuase it smelled. Like, I looked at it a little closer to make sure it wasn't something else, and BAM. Smell. Now, I don't think she's sick, becuase she LOOKS perfectly healthy, she's acting fine, her eyes are bright, no poryphin, none of that stuff. If it WAS diarrhea, I think that it might have been some kind of stress? Becuase of being in the cage maybe? Becuase I remember that one time my gerbil's wheel fell over (There was only one opening, the other side was solid, so when it fell over it was kinda like a hidey hut with no hole) and trapped him; so when I got home from school I realized he was trapped (I threw out the wheel and got one with both sides open after that) and there was diarrhea all under the wheel because he had been so scared. Could that have been what happened?

Any opinions, theories? I didn't see any diarrhea actually in the cage, just the droppings smeared everywhere.
My main question is, can the droppings smell really bad if they get wet without being diarrhea?

Also, another thing. When I put my rat back in the main cage, she started to immediate drink water, and I realized that the water bottle nozzle in the cage she had been in for the past three hours was covered in feces, so from the moment that happened, she couldn't drink. Is she going to be okay? It's now 10 hours from then and she seems fine. I don't know when the nozzle got soiled, it could've been an hour in or five minutes before I discovered what had happened. Do you think she was dehydrated? Could any other health problems result from this?

I'm sorry, I'm a new rattie owner, and that coupled with my Aspergers means one thing; WORRYING. LOTS AND LOTS OF WORRYING. ???

Registered
No worries. They could have simply smeared their feces. Urine can also make the stools softer. Stress can make their stools softer as well. Their poop smells bad anyway but yes, if it's softer it can be alittle more potent. I think they are fine 馃槉

Registered
I never had to keep my girls away from each other for three hours? Revolution is an alcohol base so it dries quickly. I had asked my vet about keeping my girls apart when I treated for lice, and she told me for a few minutes at least would be fine. Also taking a VAA course I learned that it is an alcohol base and dries fast.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No worries. They could have simply smeared their feces. Urine can also make the stools softer. Stress can make their stools softer as well. Their poop smells bad anyway but yes, if it's softer it can be alittle more potent. I think they are fine 飿
Ah, that makes me feel so much better, thank you so much!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never had to keep my girls away from each other for three hours? Revolution is an alcohol base so it dries quickly. I had asked my vet about keeping my girls apart when I treated for lice, and she told me for a few minutes at least would be fine. Also taking a VAA course I learned that it is an alcohol base and dries fast.
It's so that one rat doesn't lick the revolution off of the other. :)
She said two to three hours, but I wanted to be on the safe side.

Banned
You only have to keep the rats apart until the revolution dries, which takes a few minutes, but no harm is done if you keep them apart for a few hours. As long as the stool returned to normal... your fine. No worries.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You only have to keep the rats apart until the revolution dries, which takes a few minutes, but no harm is done if you keep them apart for a few hours. As long as the stool returned to normal... your fine. No worries.
Thank you! I only kept them seperated for that long because it was what the vet told me to do.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts