Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always keep an eye out on Gumtree/Preloved etc for rats that need a home and always message them saying I will take the rat but cannot travel. Yesterday a girl got back to me, she's going to University and can't take her 2 boys so asked if I could home them. She asked about bedding/cage/food everything so I have a good feeling these two boys will be very well looked after. The cage they come with is a Jenny Cage so I will keep them in that for quarantine and then start introductions to R & A (scary!!!). I especially wanted to rescue them as they're just plain brown rats.. I worried no one would want them for their colouring! One is called Ben and the other Jerry haha :) Lets just say I'm very VERY excited to be adding two boys to my wee mischief. Lets hope Rupert & Arthur play nicely (although they haven't been playing nicely with me lately, cheeky monkeys!!). :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
How exciting! I always find introductions a little bit daunting but I really hope they go well for you. Agouti may just be my favourite colour so I would love to see pictures when you get them! How old are they?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Oooh Im so jealous! After saying three was enough for me I've been pondering getting more - trying my hardest to have self control for the sake of my bank balance! Looking forward to pics!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There will be loads of pictures as she was telling me how friendly they are! I just looked for the pictures on the advert but she's taken it down to stop the phone calls off people. Thank you!! I believe she said a year old for ages :) She's unsure as they were pet shop too and the pet shop were unsure! I don't mind as long as they're happy coming to live with me :)

And Kitter, I was in Southend on holiday last week and I looked on Gumtree.. Oh my there are so many babies that need homes! I even adopted a homeless kitten whilst there. I cannot help myself! I'm rehoming all my fish on Saturday so I will have more money for the rat babies and cat babies :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just messaged her, they're 6-7 months :) I think the year old was the single male I tried to save last week!

·
Registered
955 Posts
A kitten too? Eeek I wanna see pics of that too! If it wasn't for the fact that I have a flatmate I would find it very difficult to resist getting a cat. I have to make do with visiting my folks who have two gorgeous siamese. I really miss having cats in my life.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ahh so exciting!!! Where are they coming from??? Since the loss of my two boys, my boyfriend has agreed that I'm allowed to get one more in a couple of months, so I'm hoping to find a good rescue case at some point :D I'm sure I can push it to two more if need be ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A kitten too? Eeek I wanna see pics of that too! If it wasn't for the fact that I have a flatmate I would find it very difficult to resist getting a cat. I have to make do with visiting my folks who have two gorgeous siamese. I really miss having cats in my life.
I have a couple pictures on my DSLR but my PC is down atm so as soon as I can upload them I will :) But she's now homed with our friend who is a vet (which is fab as she was badly malnourished), our resident boys weren't too happy about her and as Sanka suffers from cystitis, I try to avoid house stress! I couldn't live without cats! Before me and Ria moved in together I lived at her dads 4 days a week, I woke up one Sunday and INSISTED we have cats. I couldn't even have a temporary home without them haha! But I am a crazy cat lady to say the least (I carry pouches of cat food in my handbag for strays haha!).

Ahh so exciting!!! Where are they coming from??? Since the loss of my two boys, my boyfriend has agreed that I'm allowed to get one more in a couple of months, so I'm hoping to find a good rescue case at some point :D I'm sure I can push it to two more if need be ;)
They're coming from the other side of Birmingham, they're 30 miles from me which may not seem far but the girl doesn't drive either so her mums bringing her. She's quite lovely really, we've been messaging all week about our love for ratties (I think I made a friend ha!). So sorry about your boys :( But thats nice your OH said you can rescue more, I would push it to two ;) Live on the edge haha!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am so jealous, I never come across rats in my area! They're always in another city and I can't drive :( just saw the bit about the kitten as well, too much cute...if only I lived in a bigger flat :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The only other pet I really want is a dog. I love rats for their intelligence, quirky personalities and bond with their human owners but really hate the short lifespans. :( I have wanted a dog my whole life but have been trying not to act selfishly and get one since I am always travelling/out of the house/in apartments. Cannot wait for a point in my life where I am able to give a dog a home. I suppose rats are my in between pets since they are easier to manage and I can still travel and leave the house without feeling guilty. I do not know if I still see myself owning rats after our group passes away. I do love them more than anything but the sicknesses and deaths are so heartbreaking and I just feel like you never get enough time with them. Of course that won't be for a while so maybe I will change my mind.

In our family we have always owned cats since they are more self-sufficient but I do not know if I will get one myself when I am settled. All the cats I have met have been very independent (which is one of the factors that draws some cat-lovers in) but I really like the bond between dogs and their humans. Not to knock any cat lovers down! I do also love cats haha.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so jealous, I never come across rats in my area! They're always in another city and I can't drive :( just saw the bit about the kitten as well, too much cute...if only I lived in a bigger flat :D
Its very rare there are rats in my area which I why I jumped on the chance! I try to con my F-I-Law to drive me places haha! I love cats, they're my animal really. We're quite lucky that we have a 3 bed house so we can fill it to our hearts content with fur babies! :D

The only other pet I really want is a dog. I love rats for their intelligence, quirky personalities and bond with their human owners but really hate the short lifespans. :( I have wanted a dog my whole life but have been trying not to act selfishly and get one since I am always travelling/out of the house/in apartments. Cannot wait for a point in my life where I am able to give a dog a home. I suppose rats are my in between pets since they are easier to manage and I can still travel and leave the house without feeling guilty. I do not know if I still see myself owning rats after our group passes away. I do love them more than anything but the sicknesses and deaths are so heartbreaking and I just feel like you never get enough time with them. Of course that won't be for a while so maybe I will change my mind.

In our family we have always owned cats since they are more self-sufficient but I do not know if I will get one myself when I am settled. All the cats I have met have been very independent (which is one of the factors that draws some cat-lovers in) but I really like the bond between dogs and their humans. Not to knock any cat lovers down! I do also love cats haha.
See, I want a dog. A Pug X specifically, I keep an eye out in our dogs home because they are surprisingly rare. People buy them without realising the health difficulties they have! And as for independent cats, it depends how you bring the cat up. My cat who lives with my mum is 16 and get depressed when she's left alone. My cat Sanka, is constantly by my side, sleeps on my face/chest and doesn't like any other human/animal being too close to me (I'm his mummy you see haha). So it all depends with cats how you bring them up :) I like cats who depend on me, I'm going broody ATM so it settles me haha!

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you want a cat that is more like a dog try a siamese. I had two siamese growing up and they were the most loyal, crazy intelligent and bonded cats I had ever met. They were like big cuddly floppy babies who would follow us around and want to be with us all the time. I spent many a summer racing up and down the garden with the cat chasing behind me. No matter how far away they were when outside - they could be a block away, but if I whistled for them they would come bounding back to us like a dog. Brilliant breed, loud, intelligent, but always causing mischief and chaos- so they can be hard work!
I thought for a while that perhaps those boys had just been brought by up by my family to be such love bugs, but a couple of years ago my parents rescued two adult siamese cats, and they are the exact same, so I think the personality must be breed specific.

I must say, I'm looking forward to christmas this year so I can stay with my folks and spend a couple of days lying on the sofa being loved on by those big cuddle bugs <3

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love Siamese cats, they have such wonderful characters. But I especially love Maine Coon cats, my Sanka is half Maine Coon and my god is he cuddly :') Nothing better than a cold Winter night, a mug of tea, a crappy movie and cats. Pure heaven.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts