Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been debating with my partner about what cage we should upgrade to within the next month. We have already decided a DCN is out, simply because we do not have the space for a cage of that size. We were considering the single one, but I worry about the width and right now my max width is going to be about 32.5 inches. I would have to see about rearranging the area to fit the CN because of its size, which may be hard because the apartment is just not that big. We will have 4 small rats. We also want to plan ahead for the animals we may have in the future, I want to own sugar gliders, he wants chinchillas at some point, so we want a good all around cage that will give the ratties and what other critters we may have good homes (I know this may not be possible due to different space needs for different animals, I am still researching). I can always expand the critter nation with the add on later (despite the cost being higher). I'd like to spend under $150.

I was also looking at these cages (for the price really) they would fit a little bit better in the area the cage will sit. (Also we wanted one with a stand)

http://www.amazon.com/Wrought-Chinc...UTF8&qid=1433779212&sr=8-26&keywords=rat+cage

http://www.amazon.com/Economical-Le...UTF8&qid=1433779212&sr=8-31&keywords=rat+cage

I can add my own shelves (I am handy) and customize it. I know i'd need to rat proof these cages. According to ratty corner, these cages will hold at least 4-6 rats. Has anyone else gotten either of these cages?

I was looking at Martins, but it seems like the price will climb to have him customize something I am looking for. To get the rat sky scraper in the configuration I would want would be 150 alone, without shipping.

Also I was considering a DIY, but due to the bed bugs in my area, have ruled that out, for the time being. I would also have to make sure the cages don't have entry points for them.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have a martins and really love it. I honestly think a martins would be better then either of those choices you linked. If u do get a martins make sure to get it powder coated.

For that kindof money Id always rather get something really great then something good enough.

Both of the cages you linked look more like bird cages to me. And I imagine with the doors would be a pain in the butt to decorate/clean (mostly with the second one).

I could maybe see 6 rats in the first one but I think 4 might be a bit much for the second.

But I think either cage would do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I had been leaning towards the first one, but for the price I would definitely much rather consider a CN, if I can manage it. They are generic rodent/bird cages and come with supplies for both.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wouldn't get either one you linked. I think the second one is the one I had for my single rat. If it is, when you assemble it you have to use pliers to bend the pieces to fit the cage. Excessive bending will break the wire. It was a pain to clean and decorate with the little doors and I had to remove them whenever I wanted to force the wheel through the tiny opening. Also the slide in bottom shelf is more for birds. I ended up putting it in the bottom while assembliny so my baby wasnt walking on wire but that prevented me from being able to take it out. All in all they say they are for small animals and birds but they don't do well as rat cages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The second one is definitely out then, the first one has decent reviews but I will be seeing what I can do about the CN or a Martins depending on the price.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I cannot speak on the cages you listed, but I can chime in on the CN. It does indeed sound like you don't have the space for it. It is 36 inches across and 24 inches deep and 24 inches high. Even if you do manage to clear space for it, you'll need some space in the front to open the doors. I'm going off of my initial measuring and don't have anything concrete right now, but I would extrapolate that the doors open 18 inches into the front (half of the 36-inch width), so you need at least 42 inches deep, and that's not counting the space you need if you intend to stand in front of it while opening it.

The CN is an awesome cage, but it is a commitment. I'm glad I measured my space for it, but I couldn't grok in my head just how much space it really needed. I sit on the end of the couch to open the doors.

Good luck in finding your cage!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a dcn and a qc (which is similar to martins, they are an Oregon cage manufacturer). Both work well, however the qc is definitely the easier to clean. I have a smaller cage in the living room for putting a small group in to just hang out with us but can't be free roaming. (also works for medical cage and such)

It's one of these http://www.petco.com/product/114149...Designer Black Standing Cockatiel Cage-114149

Easy to clean, large bottom door, with a smaller door inside the large one. The dome part has a decent sized door as well. There are side doors for food and water bowls. it looks nice which is a plus as well. It's suitable for both girls and boys. There are no shelves so you would have to add them yourself. I use small shelves that can easily be removed for cleaning, hammocks, plastic tubes and such.

I think up to about 3 rats, maybe 4 could be comfortable in it for permanent living.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts