Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Here in rat forum, there really nothing to find when it comes to elderly rats. I recently reached out for help, and received nothing as to what is easy for my elderly rat to eat. I think we should all start a new thread in the health section. Would anyone be interested in helping? Comment below with what you can help out with. I can make the initial forum and take after the cage aspect.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
As to nutrition, I tend to pretty much give my older girls whatever they like... when their time is growing short I try to make them as comfortable as possible and try to keep their weight up. As the older rats lose their strength, their confidence and their status, they seem to appreciate food treats more than ever... some tend to get withdrawn so they often don't take advantage of the human comfort we try to provide them... even rats that weren't very food motivated when they were younger tend to appreciate the little tasty things when they get old and lose everything else...

On Fuzzy Rats last public appearance, I shared my sausage, from a carnival vendor with her and I set her on the ground when she asked, so she could nibble at a corn on the cob someone discarded. It was the town 4th of July Picnic and she enjoyed her last fireworks show and she still entertained several children and adults over the course of a six hour meet and greet. But she really loved the sausage and that nasty corn on the cob she found... she loved street food (literally finding food on the street) all of her life, when she was younger I took it away from her, but it made her happy and she made everyone around her happy... She was more tumor than rat and she couldn't walk on her own... she got whatever she wanted... no matter how bad it was for her or how disgusting it was to watch her eat it...

I'm sure other people have a better methodology, one based on good nutrition, we tried that too... and try to feed our younger rats healthier foods, but when time starts running out it's all about what makes our old rats happy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts