Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds really stupid to be planning a franken cage, since my impression was that they usually come from necessity. But all the cages I've been finding are usually calculated to two rats or five or six, and I just don't have enough room for a cage that large. Plus they're all expensive. So here's my idea for a cheap franken-cage for my soon to be clan of three-

Bottom will be a huge finch flight cage I found at PetCo for $42. Alternatively, it's offered on ebay for about $35 including shipping, so I'll probably go for that. 30 inches long (lots of running room!), 18 wide and 18 high. The basic calculator says two rats, three if you switch it to 1.5 cubic feet of space, so it's a high estimation of two, at least. Here's the link- Finch flight cage I'm not in love with the doors, but they'll probably be okay, and I could probably figure out a way to DIY a bigger door later if it drives me nuts having the doors too small.

Then I'll cut a couple (maybe five) bars off of the top, and put on the cage that I will be getting with the new rat I'm picking up, which is the Super Pet My First Home for Rats. I think the actual wire part is about 10 or 11 inches high, which holds, according to the calculator, one rat.

So, 2+1=3! Perfect! Fiddling around with the calculator that uses levels, I got it to say up to four with a reasonable sounding amount of levels and hammocks factored in. So I feel like this will be good!

And I could put the opening to the little cage up against the edge of the big cage (if that makes sense, line up the two back edges) so that they'll actually get 28 inches of climbing space, should they choose to climb a lot.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
instead of building a franken cage for $35 how about this....

this cage

it's big enough for 3 ratties if the space is used wisely, and the shipping is only 6 or 7....I can't remember right now. I'm a bit tired.

if shipping is $10 for ebay this might not be that much more expensive. It'll have to be covered in hardware cloth but it might be worth it instead of spending money on something that you might have to trash later for a better cage.

I dunno just a thought. Have a poke around ferret.com. I'd recommend them!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That finch cage looks like there will be a large gap after you remove the bottom wire (as not to hurt their feet). I use a bird cage too (but a much taller one) for my six girls, and it works well. But, it's bottom is much closer together, so taking out the bottom wire layer didn't create a gap. One way to get around that is to line the bottom wire with linoleum, or something else hard. It would be harder to clean, but would work fine.

An easy way to increase space in that set up is to make a 3/4 length shelf in the bird cage. Its actually easy to do, use the perches that come with the cage (you can easily make more out of dowels) to support a plexi glass shelf. I have three perches under mine, and secured it with zip ties through holes that I drilled. Took me less than an hour to make four shelves (but only mount two, I need more perches). That would greatly increase your space. Be sure to save room for a hammok!

Good Luck
Pink

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get the 5 story Rat mansion by Coast Cages! 90.00 and it is at Petco or but it online for free shipping!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm still on the prowl, but I do know I don't want anything I have to cover, or that's very expensive. I'm moving in a few years into a permanent place, and plan on getting an FN or something really cool, so I am actually just looking for something cheap that I'll use for a few years and then get rid of.

And I wasn't planning on taking off the bottom grate, just covering it with several layers of fleece, since I use fabric and that looks like it would be easy to attach it to.

The plexiglass idea is good, though, I might look into that if I don't up with anything better....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm starting to cover with fabric too, but I still find it easier to take out the bottom shelf. Since the tray below can be pulled out, I have instant access to cleaning the dirtiest shelf, and it saves a lot of hassle.

Pink

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, that's a good point Pink.

But it's actually kind of a moot point right now, I figured out how to rig a cage out of mesh shelving- the thing is a monster, it's so huge. I'll post photos in a new thread later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts