Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a Small Cage But the Mesh is Bent Seeing as it was rolled when I bought it. Any ideas How I can Straight'n it out?

Also, How can I make doors, Shelfs (different levels), and the entire top flip open?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Roll it out on the floor and put something heavy on it for a day or two to straighten it out.

You can get shelves that could just click into place, or ziptie them into place..

As for the top, that's a bit too complicated for my non-mechanically inclined brain.

Oh... how small is 'small'?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for double posting again but, I just finished the cage except the lid.

Any ideas for where i can put shelfs, ladders and toys?

Where should i place everything. All Ideas are welcome.

EDIT: Heres a final pic.:

EDIT2: I just made a cut out of a Door. Rat Safe Door.

See? Rat Safe.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Great job with making it rattie safe! I'd throw those measurments into a cage calc to make sure it will hold the number of rats you want it too. Also for a top you can make a flat top that zil ties on one side. Then the other three sides of the top fold over the top edges about an inch to make sure knowone can get out. Does that make since? I hope so :p

·
Registered
367 Posts
For a top why not just use another plastic tub like you got on the bottom, cut off all but about 3 inches so its like a lid top.
Spider

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Found a Lid Style that I am Going to use. thanks for the Ideas.

But, Any Ideas for the Inside Setup?

Its my first PET rat cage. (I breed rats for feeders.)

Where should I put the second and third Level?

Ladder, Tubes, Food, Water, Hammocks, Ropes.?

Please Help Me, I am Stumped. I have no clue what they like and where.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you probably shouldn' tell people you breed rats for feeders... we kind of look down upon that. your cage looks good. I think you need one FULL level, and maybe 2 1/3 levels or something? If its a young rat you won't need ladders, plus they might be hard to make with that material. tubes are fun, if you go o home depot you can get the PVC piping. most people get the big ones to make sure ratties won't get stuck. some rats like ropes, mine don't seem very interested in them but you never know. hammocks can be made out of fabric, bandana's work well. Harlen block are good, kim's ark rescue sells it and its a great price $1.00 per pound of food, and shipping's not bad. i keep my 15 pounds in a sealed container to keep them fresh and mold free. Water, i'd suggest a glass water bottle, since plastic ones can leak easy (they bend) or rats will chew on them....ummm i don't know what else!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
im going to try to make a cage this weekend, cant wait to see how it turns out. :eek: i have a tray from a old cage that is big so i will make a big cage for all my girls.(4, not counting any girls we may keep from the 10 day old babies) wish me luck :D trish

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need Help!!!!!

I finally Got the cage finished this morning but it doesnt seal up properly when i lock it. What type of lock do you all use?

If you would, could you please take picture of your locks?

Heres a Picture. Do you see what I mean? :

Also, Heres a Pic of the lid:

And heres the finished Product:

It is WAY Bigger in real life....The Pic Makes it Look tiny.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Looks like you need to get some low gauge wire, something really strong like 10 gauge or lower and wrap the bits you have wrapped up around the wire to make it more sturdy. That or pull the door more.

It's not a very sturdy frame. It might of been better to staple that to a water proof painted wood frame to give it some sturdiness. I'm not sure how you can save it. Possible levels might hold it up more.

http://www.backblast.com/rats/ratcages.htm

http://www.efinch.com/cagebuilding/cageconst.htm

Just a heads up, that galvanised wire isn't going to last long since it's not powder coated. Rats urinate on the cage walls and it will cause it to rust and it will retain a smell that can't get out. Usually I've heard the galvanised wire cages last 3 or 4 months until people have to throw them out D: Just warning you, it's better to do power coated. I know it's too late now but just telling you.

But yeah I think perhaps some thick gage wire woven at different intervals on the sides might sturdy it up and make that door close more taughty. Good luck! Hopefully you will get rats that aren't escape artist so will stay put lol. I just keep my door open all the time really and my rats don't go anywhere because of that XD

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Everybody. It took me 3 days But My Cage is Complete.(Except for toys and rats.)I am going to the Dollor store today so I can get a BUNCH of Cheap toys.

Heres my Cage So far: (Any Ideas for 1 more Level? 1/2, 1/3, 1/4.)

Here's Some more Pics:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They'll need a ladder or ramp, and a hidey house at the least... Does the door shut all the way now?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just so you know, this cage looks like it could hold 2 rats, three max. Each rat needs two cubic feet of cage space a piece. If I had the dimensions I could run it through the rat cage caculator to find out it's max capacity for sure.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Poppyseed said:
Just so you know, this cage looks like it could hold 2 rats, three max. Each rat needs two cubic feet of cage space a piece. If I had the dimensions I could run it through the rat cage caculator to find out it's max capacity for sure.
2. The dimensions are in the third post. I think. :?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it can hold 3 max but 2 comfterably.

also the door shuts now.

and i am on my way to the dollor store to buy stuff for the cage....ramps toys etc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts