Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, My little rattie bum Casper is in her old age and is struggling to chew and refusing to use her water bottle. At the minute she's eating food like scrambled egg, porridge, mushed banana and sweet potato. I'm putting extra water into her food so that she is still getting some liquids in her. I'm worried that she will get bored of this diet and I like her to have variety. Can anyone recommend any recipes that they used for their elderly rats? I'm willing to try anything. Thanks guys 馃槉

Registered
I've used baby food in the past. They typically love it, there's a lot of variety available, and you can choose different types depending on whether you think she needs more protein, more grains, etc. I've also used a (needle-less) syringe to give water to an elderly rat who was willing to lap it up once she figured out that there was water coming out. Good luck, and hi to Casper!

Registered
Is there any particular flavour of baby food that I should avoid? Can you recommend any? I tried one that was blended chicken and ved and she did like that one.
I was also going to recommend baby food. My boys also love this. And the variety available is good. I freeze mine in portions as once the jar is opened, it only lasts for two days in the fridge. I try avoid the fruit ones with sugar in. So I stick to the 'number one' range. This range is for the babies that have just started solids and there is no salt or sugar added. You can mush, blend all different types of fresh veg and make little different meals and freeze them. Blend some very soft cooked whole grain pasta in the mix. You also get a bird food that has egg in that you soak in warm water and it is nice and soft.

Registered
You can mix lab blocks with water and warm them to make a gruel. Also, oatmeal is awesome. So is Ensure- it's good to help keep weight on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.