Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hysterical, I need your help!

I found this girl on Craigslist for the Portland area (since my parents live there, and I still technically sometimes do, I look at it), and she needs help!! Please, someone, do something for this girl!

I found her on Craigslist, here's the link-
Craigslist Baby Rat

You can read it for yourself, but she's 4 months old, dumbo, and the person says s/he think's she's a dwarf!! If I was still in Oregon, I'd be in the car right now to go get her!

He's giving her away for free, no cage. And, the poster said that s/he doesn't care if the girl becomes a pet OR SNAKE FOOD!!! She's a baby dumbo dwarf (okay, maybe dwarf. But she looks tiny enough in the pictures!), she of all rats is NOT ALLOWED to be dinner! (Not trying to discriminate against the more "common" varieties, all rats make fabulous pets, but this girl is something rare!) Somebody save her! This is my dream rat! But I can't go get her, I'm in North Dakota now! And if anyone can go get her, and just keep her for the short(ish) term, I'll be back in the area at Christmas time, I'll come get her then.

I posted this in "Rats needing homes" too, but I figured I'd put out the plea here since it gets the most traffic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Unfortunately, my friend in Washington lives three hours away from Vancouver, but wouldn't have time to drive there.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad. But yeah, three hours is a long ways away to drive for a little rattie (that's maybe for someone else), I understand. Well, thanks for trying anyway! I just can't think of any friends of mine in that area that would be willing and able to keep her for that long!

Also, I just wanted to clarify, that if someone wanted this baby for keeps, please, do it! But if you don't have enough resources for forever, but would be willing to pick her up and house her for a bit, I'd be totally willing to come get her and compensate you for your super generosity! (In late December)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Aww! I don't have the recources to house her at all right now, nor do I live near there at ALL (Florida sun for me!), but I would!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really hope someone who wants her as a pet adopts her too.

What I can't figure out is how this person got ahold of her in the first place. She's dumbo, which doesn't necessarily mean she's pedigreed, but people are less likely to sell dumbos as feeders.
But if she's really a dwarf... well, there are like, five or six breeders, two that I know of in that area, that breed dwarfs. They are not available to the public, except through those breeders. And if they got her from a breeder, she was at least $30, and I would have thought that all breeders scanned potential adopters pretty carfully.

So HOW is she being sold for for possible snake food?!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was just looking at rat grps in yahoo and noticed a grp called rat transport. They seem to be a network of rat lovers willing to help get a rat from point A to point B. Maybe they can help, :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, the listing is gone. I checked because if it was still up I was going to look into the rat transport group. I hope that poor baby went to a good home.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I found that out today, too. I hope she went somewhere good, but I have this funny feeling she didn't.

A listing the other day had the title "Baby dumbo rat parents" and the inside said "need home tan an white want cage $10.00." I have a horrible feeling that those were the people that got her, and now they're asking for a cage for $10, in horrible grammar, which makes me concerned about her. But I guess there's nothing I can do. Sigh.

Thanks for you help, though!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's not unusual for pet stores to sell dumbos as "pet rats" instead of feeders... They come as feeders, but they want to make more money off them ("pretty" rats), so they stick them in the "other section". But either that, or maybe someone (back yard) bred rats with dumbo in them... It's not really shocking that they'd have one. They're not a rarity. :) One family surrendered to our rescue was a pet store dumbo mom & dad with kids - most dumbos.

Just wanted to say. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts