Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My rat Alvise is supposedly 6/7 months old and he's quite fat. Lately, he and his brother fight a lot (sometimes a little blood is spilled) and when I leave the cage open, he doesn't want to go out. He just stay inside his sputnik; sometimes he just wanders on the top of the cage, rarely comes to me and then he comes back inside.
It may happen that I hear him breathing with a hiss/whistle (hope that makes sense, I don't know how to explain this in eng) but it's not something that happens a lot.
They had health issues in the past and it doesn't look like some illness to me.
Can it be that he's just lazy because he's fat and/or it's just his personality? Should I be concerned about the bullying? Or does it looks like health issue to you?

Also, how can I help him lose some weight?

Thank you!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Breathing with a hissing or whistling sound is kind of worrying, even if it's only sometimes. If I were you I'd record the noise if you can and see a vet. If the little ratto doesn't make the noise in person you'll have the recording for the vet.

As for the bullying 6/7 months is peak roughhousing age but blood draws sounds worrying as well. How bad is it? Small nips/scratches? chronic laziness and lashing out can be signs of pain or illness potentially. Maybe. A veterinarian would be able to tell for sure.

For losing weight scatter feeding can help, so can removing rest areas in the cage and putting more climbing or agility type items in the. Nets, ropes, swings, and small climbing ledges.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts