Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I havnt has my two little ratties Lola and Nelly long and basically as soon as i got them home i noticed they were sneezing. I was going to take them back to pet shop but they are so cute and friendly I just couldnt. I took them to vet and they were on a course of antibiotics for a week. They didnt seem to make a blinds bit of difference. So i juts left figuring they would just very slowly gradually get worse as my others rat have due to the respirtory thing that they get. BUT Lola just seems to be getting worse and worse she has now started weekzing/rattiling quite heaverly and today i noticed red fluid round one of her eyes. Nelly isnt as bad she just seems to sneeze every now and them.

Does anyone have advice to helping the symtons i knows theres no cure.
Ive tried the hot steamy bathroom(appartenly surpose to help lossen mucus).But it didnt really help. ANY other home remedys you have disscoved.
I feel like she is going to die very young and its such a shame cos she is so lovely.
All my other rats have lived to at least 2 years. She's is barely 3 months old.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
amyjoe said:
Hello
I havnt has my two little ratties Lola and Nelly long and basically as soon as i got them home i noticed they were sneezing. I was going to take them back to pet shop but they are so cute and friendly I just couldnt. I took them to vet and they were on a course of antibiotics for a week. They didnt seem to make a blinds bit of difference. So i juts left figuring they would just very slowly gradually get worse as my others rat have due to the respirtory thing that they get. BUT Lola just seems to be getting worse and worse she has now started weekzing/rattiling quite heaverly and today i noticed red fluid round one of her eyes. Nelly isnt as bad she just seems to sneeze every now and them.

Does anyone have advice to helping the symtons i knows theres no cure.
Ive tried the hot steamy bathroom(appartenly surpose to help lossen mucus).But it didnt really help. ANY other home remedys you have disscoved.
I feel like she is going to die very young and its such a shame cos she is so lovely.
All my other rats have lived to at least 2 years. She's is barely 3 months old.
Nelly sounds like she has the New Home Sneezies, where they sneeze due to a new environment for a week or less then it goes away without any other signs of illness showing up.

Lola has a URI, her immune system got too stressed and she is now sick.

Btw 7 days is way too short a course for meds and will not cure but will mask the symptoms for a little while, then once you stop the meds they will come back even worse. 14 days is the very minimum for meds for URI.

What meds did the vet give to Lola?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a humifier in my room for the rats... it seems to help them a lot! I'm also going to get an air purifier, since my house is ooooold (we think it was built in the 20's or 30's because of the vents, but it's so hard to tell with all of the work that our landlord has done on it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
soz i ment to say two weeks dunno why i said 1 week. Im not sure what the medcine was called. It was a powder I put in there water. He isnt a very good vet and didnt seem to really like rats.
I dont think they have just got new home sneezes cos Ive had them about 1 month.
I think im gona get a humifier as ive read somewhere else that they help. Also my room gets quite **** in the winter do you think this would cause the rats any harm.
Thanks for the advice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts