Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time i handle my rats, i come up in a bright red itchy rash, i can only pressume that i am allergic to them? as i never get the rash at any other time. I have lots of different animals and have never been allergic to anything before.

Of course this wont stop me handling my ratties, i love them to bits!!

any ideas on allergy relief? :?:

thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
One of my roommates is the same way. Try to wear long sleeves while handling them. Wash you hands or any other skin they touched immediately after you are done handling them and rub on some hydrocortisone cream or other anti itch ointment. If you can keep their claws trimmed or otherwise worn down (place a brick or rock in a well traveled area), that may help by reducing the amount of scratches you get.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You're probably allergic to the urine that's on their paws and claws. I am. :) I keep Benadryl spray about and spritz my hands and arms after handling. When it's cold I wear long sleeves. Clipping their nails can also help, but my boys are too squirmy. :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
is it a red, dry rash? i got that from my boys when i first got them and went to the doc. she gave me a perscription lotion and it helped A LOT.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm sorry. So am I! To my ferret aswell. But doesn't stop me either. lol

Mostly its due to their nails in my case. I keep my ferrets nails trimmed & with the ratties, I just placed a brick under the water bottle so I'm hoping it'll help. Otherwise the others are right on, I wash my hands right after and wear long sleeve shirts.

The things we go through for our fuzzballs huh? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts