Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! I've returned after a summer away. Some of you may remember I had a problem rat, he would bite randomly & without warning, there was never any sign he was about to bite. I found a better home for him, and had been petless all summer. I lent my Ferret Nation to a friend who had adopted a ferret from the Second Chance Rescue Center here in town. She ended up buying a larger cage from a friend, so I recently got my cage back. I had been thinking all summer about what kind of pet I wanted. I really wanted rats, because I'd done so much research, and my first rat experience was so... unusual and disappointing. I thought about Chinchillas & Ferrets, but Chinchillas aren't very affectionate and don't really enjoy being held or petted or touched, from what I've read, and Ferrets are... spazzy. So I decided to give rats another chance. I volunteer at SCRC 1-5 hours a week, depending on how much free time I have, and one of the rats had really captured my attention. She is a himalayan dumbo that was apparently brought in as a stray. She always had porphyrin around her eyes and nose, I think it was because of her bedding, but she was always so sweet, she didn't squirm & try to constantly escape me, she never squeaked or bit or fear-pooped on me. (She did pee, once, but I don't think she was scared, I think she just had to pee and she doesn't know not to pee on people, yet.) I spent a few weeks getting to know her and making sure she was well-balanced before making the decision to take her home. The rescue didn't charge an adoption fee, because I volunteer, so I just made a donation in the amount of a rat adoption fee.
I took her home and promptly gave her a bath, because she was pretty filthy, and had so much porphyrin on her face. Of course, she wasn't a huge fan, but she didn't squirm much, and didn't squeak or frantically jump at the edge of the tub, either. She's so pretty now that she's all cleaned up. Her tail is still pretty filthy, though, she's probably going to get another bath, within the next few days, just to see what we can do about that tail. She's already figured out the water bottle & scarfed down the lab blocks I left in her bowl, so I'm pretty sure she is an escaped (or abandoned :() pet. She is a little shy about taking yogies, at the moment, but I'm sure when she gets more used to me, she'll get more confident.
She sat on my shoulder for about 4 hours last night while I did homework, she'd come down to explore the laptop every once in a while, but mostly stayed in the shoulder/neck area, shifting positions from laying on one shoulder, to laying under my chin, to laying on the other shoulder. She was just so calm & laid back, accepting scritches & kisses with glee. She's still got the new-home sniffles, so hopefully those will go away within the next few days.
She doesn't have a cagemate, yet, but I'll be on the lookout for one, I want to make sure potential cagemates are as well-rounded and balanced as her, I don't want another psycho rat T_T. There's another rat at Second Chance, either a neutered male or a female, (haven't checked closely, just noticed a lack of... well, you know.) but it's quite fearful and wild, (also a stray, it's a gray berk I think, I haven't held it much, it's really squirmy and prefers its cage.) he likes scritches and to be petted and held *in* his cage, but does not like to be taken outside of it, he freaks out & panics.
Anyway, I've chosen to name my new ratty "Olivia," it's kind of a silly name, but it came to me, randomly, while I was driving home with her, and it just won't go away, and no other name sounds right. Maybe it's her name and she's just telling me?
Hello to those that might remember me, and to everyone that doesn't. To everyone that's joined since I left and I haven't had a chance to welcome... Welcome! :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome back! Your little girlie sound very sweet, it must be nice to get a rat thats trusting from the start.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
wow, what a wonderful story for oliva. i'm sure she's going to love you as her daddy now. the grey one probably just needs a bit of time and patience (and perhaps some MAKING him come out of the cage to show him he's still safe). you'll probably be able to get him to come around if you can spend more time with him when you volunteer. but in any case, now that you have yourself a new girl you HAVE to give us some pictures of the little doll. with a description like the one you gave it would be an injustice to her not to.

welcome back to forums and i hope you'll stay with us for a bit. we have a bit clearer forum rules that can be found at the top of the lounge section that i suggest you give a look at just so you can be familar with how the forum is working now. i don't think there are many changes since you left but there may be some. hope to see you a bit more now that you're offically back! *grins* enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
527 Posts
welcome back!
your girl sounds so sweet...it must be nice having a sociable rat from the start. my girls came into my life 5 days ago, and they're still a bit squirmy, but hopefully they'll turn into lovebugs like Olivia seems to be. =)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
its acceptable only in the hello section. as in the hello section you're saying hello and giving a little bit about yourself. saying your back and hello again to everyone is still the same as what this section is intended for.

a "i'm back" post is only illegal when done so outside of this section or in reference to you saying you can't stand it here but are giving it another shot to see if we've improved or something. you normally see these posts in the same thread as a suicide post by the same person of course. that's why they aren't allowed, normally they are used to put the forum down further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts