Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't help myself. When my friend Kayleigh mentioned wanting to get me a rat for Christmas, obviously I wasn't opposed to the idea. I love rats and I want to hold them all. The only problem was getting my mom to agree with me, which I have successfully done.

I've held this little rat twice. She IS in Petsmart, and I know that Petsmart rats aren't always the best to pick from, but the two times I've held her she's showed exactly zero signs of any illness whatsoever. She's got a beautiful coat color, and she's got a blazed coat pattern. The second time I held her, I held her against my chest, and when I looked down at her, she reached her paw up to get at my mouth.

Does anyone know where rats learn to do rodentistry? Is this a class they take when they're itty bitty babies?

Anyway, I'm going to Petsmart today to pick her up after school, and I'll post as many pictures as I can tonight!

(I've already got the cage set up.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know the stigma attached to Petco and PetSmart. My two babies are from Petco and they were treated well at the store and are very healthy and lively. My ONLY option around here is the pet stores. My philosophy is that I saved them from something horrible. Congrats on your new furry baby!

·
Registered
194 Posts
How exciting! I have gotten 90% of my rats from pet stores and a few of my friends have gotten theirs from Petco also. They may be raised unhealthy but their lives sure do turn around when they are placed in the right hands. I hope everything goes well for you and your new rats.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Four rats I've gotten from Petsmart now. One, Belle, died suddenly, most likely from some internal affliction. Athena and Ashley, once treated at Petsmart for less than 2 weeks, came and have been as good as anything, although Athena's passed. I still have Miss Ashley, who is just as wonderful as ever.

I hate to say that I had to return my rat because she was so obviously sick, and the only way for her to get better (without costing me $200) was to return her to the store, where they treat her. (Do other Petsmarts/Petcos have a Banfield attached to them?) Not only that, but I found that the other rat who was in the cage/tank was also sick, and was able to convince them that she needed to be treated as well.

I will be called as soon as my rat is healthy again.

And Verucasdad, I have the same philosophy! I feel like a little bit of a hero right now. And thank you both for your responses!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts