Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three rat girls. Why on earth do I need to get more rats? I don't need more rats. I don't need more rats. I don't need more rats...I don't need more rats. Oh look, Mainely Rat Rescue has two very adorable baby boys I already have names for.

It's a really good thing I don't have money for two neutered boys right now... *saves*

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think this is our everyone feels, not just you...rats are so addictive :) I went into [email protected] once and named a little boy I saw, I desperately wanted to take him home and if my partner hadn't stopped me I definitely would have. It's hard to resist especially when rats appear in your area looking for a home :( but I just go and cuddle my three babies and remind myself how much I love them (and how much of a handful they are!) at the moment I can give my three lots of love and an excellent quality of life. Whereas if I kept adding more I don't think I could give quite as much to each individual rat, just keep telling yourself there will be new rats in the future but you don't need them now. I'm telling you this but if I found some ratties that needed a home in my city I'm not entirely sure about my willpower...

·
Registered
479 Posts
We have 17 rats at my house at the moment because of this... One pregnant female sorta blew up from 6 to 17... XP and we only have homes for two of the little girls. And even if we can find homes for two of the boys, we're still keeping three of the boys and four of the girls (not counting mama) for a grand total of 13... x.x You don't need more. Or you do. XD Would I go back and make us put down the big eyed, black dumbo eared cutie if I could? No course not, I wouldn't have my GusGus, or my little silly legged Grey if we didn't. I'd just have our crazy girls. We've ended up with a lot really fast but I can't say I regret it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I started with 2, adopted 2 that needed a desperate home and most recently took in 2 hairless. I also have my breeder keeping me 2 boys aside that I picked.. Woops. I'm also looking into getting girls.. I can see another SRS coming my way ha!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I started with 2, saw another on the humane society's website I had to have, and trust me if I lived close to some of you I'd be taking in some babies!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Technically speaking I have 5...my future roommate is housing her 3 with me...thats 8...my current roommate (who were keeping) is getting 3-4 herself...thats 12...MY HOUSE IS OVER RUN! I blame my husband..he is always saying lets get just 1 more...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just embrace your crazy rat lady roots and enjoy haha :D I come home with new babies for my OH to go "really, again?". I came home with an injured frog once, nursed it back to health and released it. We're all animals lovers on here and it's good that we look after so many well deserved animals! :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
This thread is now tempting me to just rescue more...I mean I have a cage big enough for 8 now. My partner will kill me, or he might not notice ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Adeliek, how'd you think I feel? I have a cage that can hold 12, I have 6. I also have a spare cage that can hold 3... Haha! :D I might just give Ria the option of more rats or a pair of Ferrets.. I think thats fair ;):p

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I've got my eye on two boys needing a home, the owner got rats to "try them out" and decided they're not for her. They're being housed in a terrible tank setup, and when they were suggested to contact a rat rescue they said "thanks but I would rather sell them". What???

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oh my :( Thats just horrible! Why are some people just so goddamn horrible? I wish there was a rat rescue or similar around by me. The only rescue we get are on selling sites really. I'd love to see a true rat rescue centre, one that gives a ****!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The RSPCA near me has two gorgeous female dumbos but my parents absolutely insist on no more rats and since I live under their roof i suppose i don't have to worry about accidentally ending up with a mishief of a hundred! :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lucky you! My parents tried to get that rule to stick with my hamsters when I lived at home... I ended up with 3 hamsters in rabbit cages as I felt bad giving them a smaller cage just due to their size haha! :) Now I have a 3 bedroom house and a LOT of space... Its baaaaaad haha.

·
Registered
437 Posts
haha, i don't know what will happen when i get my own place! I'm dreading moving to Uni though because i doubt they'll allow pets...four years without rats?! I haven't been without rats since i was ten! :(

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
This thread is now tempting me to just rescue more...I mean I have a cage big enough for 8 now. My partner will kill me, or he might not notice ;)
I usually don't tell my husband when I get a new rat. Not because I really want to hide it from him, but to see how long it will take him to notice. I think I had odin for maybe 2 months before he noticed lol. Probably helped that he looked almost exactly like my girl Isis and they were rarely both in sight at the same time hehe. I think now that I've reached 7 I would intentionally have to hide a new one though lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's basically what my mother and I used to do when I was a kid and usually it'd be a month or more before he noticed even if there was a totally new cage xD

·
Registered
995 Posts
Last year my girlfriend went away for the weekend and came home to 2 new babies... im banned from bringing any more home lol. 5 is our limit (even though our cage is big enough for twice that!)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Now that I have a bigger cage theres a huge temptation to get more rats, but I'm trying my hardest to be sensible for the sake of my bank balance, allergies and sanity! I might look into it when they are older though so that I can have a 'rolling group'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts