Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm interested in breeding rats. I have some and they're just so cute, I need to make more of them. I have thee males and three females in together, how long will it take before the girls are pregnant?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Your seriously in a world of hurt right now when someone decides to reply. Not even I can defend you on this because of how inconsiderate your being. Want more rats? Go adopt! Want more? Do get some from the store, don't think you should be the one to make more. They aren't toys, they are living.

I just hope no one else replies to this and your post gets sent down to the bottom and ignored.

Sadly though. You still are going to reacquire help seeing you don't even know the gestation period of a rat. I pray you get some common sense. Go Google rat breeding and raising rat babies.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's probably too late, but please at least consider only letting one girl get pregnant. Separate them and don't give them even 2 seconds together because that is literally all the time it takes for them to do 'it.'
Rats can have up to 12 kittens (that's babies) in one litter. you are looking at possibly 36 babies in less then a month!! There are many babies out there who need loving homes and sadly so many get eaten. If you take a little time to get educated then you and your ratties will be the happier for it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am not going to go off on you (thought I'd like to), but I will suggest you:

1. Read EVERY thread in this forum to find out about the PROPER way to go about breeding
2. Research BEFORE you end up with HUNDREDS babies
3. Remove the females from the males NOW
4. Learn how to sex babies NOW

I'd add: "Call a vet to get 3 e-spays", but somehow, I don't think you'd do that.

Considering each litter can be as large as 20ish (average is 8-12, something you should have KNOWN - I see many 14ish litters), you could be over-run with rats very shortly. Many rescues have had to go in and remove rats from situations occurring from that same behavior - throwing rats of the same sex together. The babies were not properly sexed, or were allowed to breed at will, and then you've got 100+ rats... Sometimes up to 500 or more.

Please, know what you're doing before you mess with lives. You obviously had no thought or care in the matter. PLEASE use your brain before this gets out of hand.

Also, stock up on cages. Lots and lots of cages. And bedding. And food. You'll need it.

And start looking for homes. Lots of homes.

After re-reading your post, I kinda hope you're a spammer or someone who thinks it's funny to rile up rat people.

·
Registered
532 Posts
you know, this person might be trolling (posting this just to get a rise out of everyone.)

i can't imagine someone truly being this irresponsible so i guess i am trying to imagine an alternative.

i hope they're not going through with this...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think you may be right. Their profile lists "food-chains" and "parthenogenesis" as interests.

·
Registered
532 Posts
yup, definately here just to annoy us rat-people. look at their profile, and click on "find all posts." doesn't know the first thing about hairless rats, and talks about "bubble baths" and "extra love" in a somewhat snide manner.

*sigh*

yay for trolls.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Oh my. Oh my. Please do not do this.

·
Registered
216 Posts
yup, definately here just to annoy us rat-people. look at their profile, and click on "find all posts." doesn't know the first thing about hairless rats, and talks about "bubble baths" and "extra love" in a somewhat snide manner.
I saw that post earlier today. I was dumbfounded. Really didn't know what to say, but still this could be a real person who desperately needs our help.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I saw that post earlier today. I was dumbfounded. Really didn't know what to say, but still this could be a real person who desperately needs our help.
A real person who needs SOME kind of help, whether it be help learning the basics about rats, or help raising their self-esteem so that they don't feel the need to post irritating topics in a rat forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! I didn't know this would cause such a stir!

I think you may be misunderstanding me, my rats are so beautiful, if you saw just how pretty they were maybe you wouldn't be so apprehensive. I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding homes for them all. Would you like to see pictures of them? Some are hooded, they're all so cute, they have gorgeous little black eyes. They're very friendly and I'm sure they'd have friendly babies.

I don't claim to know everything there is to know about rats, but I'm surprised that some of you would hope that I get no helpful advice because of it! That's quite strange, and rather cruel.

magickat: What's wrong with being interested in parthenogenesis and food chains? I like animals, I find parthenogenesis very interesting (I have some parthenogenetic lizards and insects as well as rats), and every animal eats, so being an animal enthusiast I like to know about it. Have I done something wrong?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If your rats were parthenogenic then you wouldn't need advice about their reproductive abilities. Nor would you need more than one rat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obviously my rats are not parthenogenetic! Don't be absurd! If you can't say anything nice then perhaps you shouldn't be abusing a new member who is only here to learn and enjoy rats!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sdaji said:
I think you may be misunderstanding me, my rats are so beautiful, if you saw just how pretty they were maybe you wouldn't be so apprehensive. I'm sure I'll have no trouble finding homes for them all. Would you like to see pictures of them? Some are hooded, they're all so cute, they have gorgeous little black eyes. They're very friendly and I'm sure they'd have friendly babies.

I don't claim to know everything there is to know about rats, but I'm surprised that some of you would hope that I get no helpful advice because of it! That's quite strange, and rather cruel.
If you dont know everything about rats then why would you breed them?

You could have the prettiest rats in the world but they can have the most horrid genes that can be passed to their offspring. I'm guessing they were also pet store rats. Pet store rats should never be bred, NEVER. I fight for people who have oops litters, and people who don't believe in E-spays but people who stick three females that they have no idea what the genes are, let alone how long it takes to become pregnant. Then you deserve to be talked at.

1. Remove the females.
2. Buy cages.
3. Call a vet and makes sure if something happens during birth you can reach the vet.
4. Week before birth, move the females into SEPARATE CAGES, or a tank. NO, dont keep the females together.
5. Feed the females lots of protein.
6. Pray after the gestation period is over, 21-23 days, that the babies all come out healthy, no had births, no dead mommies and no motherless babies.
7. More food more food, more protein, more cage cleaning, more money you have to spend on them.
8. Hopefully by now you have enough homes for EVERY SINGLE BABY.
9. Sex your babies and make sure you have enough cages so when they hit maturity, 5 weeks I believe, maybe 4 you separate them so you don't have this mess again.
10. Keep your rats separate from now on. Breeders work hard and for years before they even breed one rat.

Only professional breeders should breed. People who know genes, genetics, know where the rats have come from, have responsible adopters ready ahead of the birth. People breed rats for health, a certain gene or color, and to make a better rat. NO because they have such pretty rats.

THERE is your common info and help on your situation. Want more without being harassed? GOOGLE!

AND being a NEW member doesn't give you special privileges. You are treated here like every member is treated, NEW or OLD. And you want to learn about rats, well this thread should be your first lesson then.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just want to preface my post with - welcome to the forum and I hope you stay and learn.

Please do not breed your rats. There are already too many.

Please take the females away from the males and then start preparing for a lot of work.

Please.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, for a hippy you're certainly one high strung person! Mellow out, man!

No one knows everything about rats, but someone has to breed them! Are you saying I am less worthy than someone because I am not yet a professional breeder? Everyone needs to start somewhere, maybe this is my start as a professional, either way, I'm going to give it a go.

I've read on some sites that keeping females together is a good idea, as they can help to feed each others' babies, and they are social animals which enjoy the moral support of their family, so I plan to keep them together.

How can you have a motherless baby? Are you trying to tease me again?

Why are you saying it's a mess? If I breed them again, where is the harm? I am sure I can find good homes for them all, I don't think it will be a problem. The local pet shop said they have lots of people who come in wanting them, and if I can't find a better option they will take as many as I breed. I think I can find good homes myself without the pet shop needing to do it for me anyway.

Obviously I'm going to keep feeding them! Why wouldn't I? They always have as much food as they want to eat.

I'm glad that knowledge of genetics is beneficial, I have a degree with honours in biological science, I majored in genetics. How convenient and fortunate!

So you treat everyone with such contempt, new or old? I hope I don't have to abuse other people in order to be accepted here!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I vote troll. Honestly, every post I've read by this person seems crafted to rub people here the wrong way.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As a well educated person, wouldn't you want to be prepared before taking on the responsibility of so many lives?

You do not sound prepared.

Professional breeders do not start by randomly breeding their rats. They research, find a mentor, volunteer...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.