Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past day or so I've noticed little crusties of porphorin around my baby rats nose and I noticed one tiny crusty on the inner corner of her eye. I wiped them away and have seen some since but it's honestly very mild. She's been sneezing maybe 5-10 times a day at the most (that I've noticed anyways). She's eating and drinking and playing with her cage mate fine.

What freaked me out tonight is when I went to pick her up from her hammock (I don't think I startled her), she made a noise that my sick baby rat (that I had to bring back to the pet store because she was ill) made previously. Freaked me out to no end so I kept listening and sure enough she did t again when she was walking around.

So I took her out of the cage and brought her to my bedroom and put a piece of fleece in her carrying cage and left it opened on the bed and just listened to her breathing etc for about 30 mins. Not many unusual sounds to be honest. She was just sniffing around with her nose and it sounded a little noisy but it was making a sniffing sound. It wasn't abnormal sounding (although I'm not sure if you're supposed to be able to hear them sniffing?). Another thing I noticed is that when she was laying down, the side of her stomach was making breathing movements (although she was breathing through her nose) I don't know if that's abnormal?

I was rubbing her head when she was laying down and she bruxed for me for the first time ever so that's good! And after she finished bruxing she grinned her teeth.

Very minimal sneezing while I had her out of the cage. Maybe 3 times in total.

She managed to pee and poop while she was out also. Pee seemed normal. Clear liquid with a yellow tinge to it. Sounds pretty normal and her poop seemed normal too (as far as I know?)

I gave her a few drops of oregano oil just to be on the safe side. I normally give her a few drops every morning and a little bit of organic coconut oil at night but today it was oregano oil this morning, coconut oil tonight as well as oregano oil again. I'm thinking of continuing the same thing for the next few days to see if I see a difference?

Please give your input. I'm a first time rat mommy and super nervous as I'm not 100% sure how to help if she gets ill.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Leaf Beige Plant

Kind of gross but here's a picture of her poop. It isn't completely hard. It's not mushy either. In between and kind of smells weird but not super stinky. I hope that helps better. Maybe I'm just over reacting and worrying too much but I want to make sure she's okay and healthy

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sound totally normal from what you are describing. And the turds look completely normal as well. I see you live very near me, across the pond, lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts