Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm so lost.

Is there any reason my rat would bite its own tail causing it to bleed?
Is there any way that it could push its big bed through the bars?

I'm asking beacuse I've come home a few days this week and she's had a few injuries to her tail.

Today her bed was pushed through the bars.

I just don't know why she would do that, she loves her bed.

I'm thinking there is another wild rat where she stays, and it may be attacking her and trying to steal her things. Is that possible or likely?

I know she often sleeps with her tail outside the cage. And I've never seen her do any thing to her tail while I'm around.

Any ideas? I'm really worried!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Many rats pursh things through the bars, even things they like. But as for the marks on her tail... :? Is there anything she could get caught on? Any marks to the rest of her, scabs, etc? Does she have a cagemate that could be doing this?

·
Registered
208 Posts
My boys work very hard on messing up a nicely arranged cage. They have no problems with showing me that they don't appreciate where I put their litter boxes or bedding areas. Everyday I'm pulling towels back into the cage, finding the food dish that gets covered with every towel overnight. (really, I'll check on them in the morning and between Syd and Stan they will have worked together to bring every single towel in the cage to the bottom level and hide the food dish).

We haven't had tail injuries yet luckily so I can't offer advice for that, maybe a parasite? I know rats can self multilate if they have fleas, mites, ticks, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just don't think it's her doing it to her self. theres no other marks on her body. This has happend about 4 times.

She doesn't have a cage mate so it's not him, but i'm for sure there was a rat where she was staying now.

I've moved her =)

but it has gotten worse before it got better. I put a small band aid on the last cut while i got ready for work (10 minuetes?) I came back and she had ripped it off, but before she did it must've gotten tighter when she pulled it so she started biting her tail, and it bled a lot.

I took her to the vet immediatly and they gave me some ointment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts