Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!

My names Amber, and I'm 19, and I recently adopted my first rat. It's a girl and she's hairless. Her name is Paris. I'm glad I found a forum like this because everything she does is new to me!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome :)

This place is a WEALTH of information - and the ppl are really nice too.

Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome! You should consider adopting Paris a friend, they do much better in pairs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Amber!

Please take a moment to read the site rules and enjoy your stay! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for a warm welcome and I did go by and read the site rules.

I considered getting her a friend but the girl at the pet store said I should only get one so it would become more attached to me.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The people who work at pet stores are notoriously wrong.

Yes, the rat may seem more attached to you, but that's because you're its only source of stimulation. If you want to keep an only rat, the rat should spend over five hours a day with you. And even then you can't be with it at night nor speak it's language. My six boys are fine with me despite having other rats to play with, I just take them out one at a time, for special rattie time. :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
rainbowbritexx said:
I considered getting her a friend but the girl at the pet store said I should only get one so it would become more attached to me.
Oh dear, that's not right! Rats need to have a friend to groom and be groomed, snuggle up with, play with through the night etc. Rats are much happier and healthier in same sex pairs or more. I'm not bashing you or anything... I just can't believe the things they say in pet stores sometimes!

You really should consider getting her a little friend... she won't love you any less because she has a rat friend to play with. And if you do it really soon and get her from the same place, you won't have to go through the whole quarantine thing. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts