Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm plotting on how to get my girls a little more space. And a friend, maybe. I just feel like three would be a better number than two. But THAT would come after, if THIS happens-

I feel like they need a bigger cage. I feel like I should get them one, anyway, regardless of whether I get a third rat or not. So.

I stuck wtih the smaller cage (Coast Cage Ritz Condo), because a)it's perfectly servicable, and very cute b)it was a birthday gift from my parents, c) it's ALLLLMOST big enough. Some days I feel like it is, some days I don't. But it certainly won't fit three girls, which is what I'd ultimately like. And d)because I'm not technically supposed to have pets in my apartment, I wanted something mobile and hidable in case of maintenance.

But then I came up with this brillant idea- instead of having them out, and then shoving stuff into the closet if someone's coming, (which has happened once so far, to check our fire alarms), pushing my cloths out of the way so that they don't get at any to chew, and having this odd open place in my room, I could take some of the cloths/stuff OUT of my closet, and put the rat cage IN the closet! I leave the door open right now anyway, and it's a slider, so it's easy to keep open. And more importantly, it would be WAY easier to close at a moments notice. SO.

I'm thinking in a vauge sort of way about getting this cage, and putting it in my closet. It's 28H, 22x16 base. One calculator says fine for 2. That calculator doesn't have levels factored in. Wtih the one that DOES have levels factored in, it took about four hammocks to get it to say
"comfortable for 2 rats, 3 max". There are no levels built in, but I'm okay with that, I'd make some stuff up, and that's more space for creativity and changing it up.

So, it is good enough for three? I really WANT it to be yes, so I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally made the other calculator work, and it says 3 is fine. I probably would add more than four hammocks and make some levels, but I just wanted to see what the the minimum was to make the calculator happy, and it's totally doable.

Hmm...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wow, that's a nice looking cage for a really great price! I think it would work out just fine if you add some levels to maximize the overall floor space.

Oh and I totally understand your housing situation, been there done that. :lol:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm getting that cage! I just love the huge door, and how it's totally customizable. I offered $50 for the person to hold it until I get there and can go and pick it up, which she seemed quite happy about, and I think it still a pretty good steal. Good thing I've been working over Christmas, though!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
hmmm... I'm not so sure this is going to work for you. I used a couple rat calculators & not one came up with 3 rats fitting in those dimensions. You also have 3/4 in bar spacing on that. I young one will slip right through it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shoot, really? I managed to make the two calculators I used say okay for 3... Well, okay one of them I fudged a little because my computer didn't like numbers that started in 2 for the height, so I said 30 inches high instead of 28, and it said three was okay. And then the one with the levels figured in, it said three with only four hammocks/levels, which there's enough space for, I think...

And my girls definitely aren't tiny young 'uns anymore, I think 3/4 would be fine... But I guess I'll have to see. I'd still have the Coast Cage, so if I got tiny rats in the future they could live in there till they grew up a little.

I'll think about that, but I already said I'd get it. So I think I will, especially since I only have two rats right now anyway. If it doesn't work out, I can always sell it back somewhere.

·
Registered
261 Posts
that is a great price CaptainFlow *salutes*

You'd be better off buying the cage and building on more floors so there is a little more space and oh, don't forget to cover the wires surfaces to prevent bumblefoot. ;) Well l don't care what anyone else says, l highly recemend you buy that cage. :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, the person who was selling it left town and won't be back until the 8th of January. I go to Grand Forks on the 6th, so boo, no new cage. I have to work something else out, then...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just wanted to mention that is not actually a good price for that cage, I can buy the same one locally, brand new, for 29.95, and I live in Alaska.

Bird cages can make great rat cages, but are a lot more work. I have my six girls in a 30"x18"x55" cage. You have to be sure you can remove the metal screen from the bottom of the cage without creating a gap that your girls can sneak through. I used the wooden perches (and made several more) to provide support for plexi glass shelves, two that are 24"x16", one that is 10"x16", and one that is 14"x16" along with two large hammocks and several other things. All those also cost more money, and take some construction skills. A bird cage may seem like a bargain at first, but they don't actually save much money over buying a prebuilt cage, like a martin cage.

Good luck finding your two girls the cage of their dream.

Pink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts