Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm a little worried about the health of my babies... and slightly mad. At first i was going to get them for free. THEN the breeder (who is a friend) says "Oh well another breeder wants them bother for 20" so I come with 20$ and she says "they will be 20 each because we saved them for you" Like REALLY after you PROMISED ME them for free now the babies are 40$ jeeze! Of course I'd pay to finally get the rats who I had bonded with and loved since they were born... I just cant believe that. So then I had to scrape together an extra 20 just to take my rats home... I'm seriously going to talk to then next time I see them. I do not appreciate that. Not only that, but they gave my friend rat (who she already said she would buy for 10$) to a "breeder" because they "needed money" seriously? they couldn't wait 4 days?

Not only that but they had the mom and babies on CAT FOOD. I have no idea what babies should look like at 5weeks... so can someone PLEASE tell me if this is a good size? Please note they had to be bathed to attempt to get FOOD DYE off their fur.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I really hate it when people agree on something and then suddenly change it and think it's acceptable. When you say you're going to do something, you keep to those agreements. Your friend sounds like a bad breeder as a bad businessperson. I'm not sure if the picture you posted is the one you meant though, I don't see any rats just a persons legs next to a dog crate

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
No they look way young. I know you know their age but they look like three or four weeks not five. I would actually cut their protein intake for a while and monitor their urine smell/color.

I would just not talk to tht person anymore as they clearly don't value you as a friend.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hmm its hard to say they look kind of small. Put them on proper food like oxbow young rat food obviously no cat food...lol...just watch them and make sure there are no health problems as this person doesnt seem to know what they are doing I doubt they know what a healthy rat is.

·
Registered
479 Posts
They look similar to our babies and they are turning 5wks on Tue. They might even be a little bigger then ours. I mean I havn't been around many litters or babies, but they look about what I'd expect? Also do you mean they had food coloring on them? Cause that isn't unusual for keeping track of whos who or makin it easier to tell apart. I have to dye GusGus to make sure I can tell him apart from Matcha atm since they are identical and Gusgus is staying while Matcha is being rehomed. But i would definitely give them a talking to about that, they strung you along and from the sounds of it it was all intentional. Make you get attatched and spring a price last minute, sounds like some sort of scam. And if they are a friend I wouldnt let them near your babies. I'd be scared they would try to steal them if you make a fuss about how they cheated you.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Cat food can actually be good for mum and babies, mine get a high protien rat mix i make up myself along with regular high protien wet food which is useually a really nice natural cat food called applaws. It has good meat and protien content so is a very useful option. Its actually probably better they had that then fed entirely on an adult rat food. Of course if they were feedin soley dry cat food and a low grade option then its not a great thing, but they dont look a bad size and look well filled out. Its possible that hey've had a bit much protien so may grow a bit fast, but dont over do things for now and they should be fine. They dont sound the most ethical breeder too if they let single rats go to new homes too.

As to her messing you around, that is rubbish. Amusingly when my babies go to breeder friends i dont charge (we kind of share rats and help each other out, so i know i will get some related rats back next time i want them and so on), with pet homes though its clear what i charge from my website, if anything i struggle to charge close friends for rats. It does sound like this breeder isnt especially professional

·
Registered
874 Posts
Only saw this now, didn't know you had such a hard time getting your babies. Was that last pic of Conner? Poor little thing was in serious need of that bath you gave him.

I have to just say... And this from a breeder? I've had better condition ratties from the pet store.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm so sorry that the breeder did that. Seems like a bad person in general to do that to someone. But the new boys are super cute! I'm so happy for you! ^_^

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SO I contacted the breeder.. and this is how the exchange went down.

Me: I love my babies... don't get my wrong. And call me a coward, ungrateful, annoyed. But I was going to Danielle for advice... because to be frank. I am a little more than pissed off. You stated I was going to get them for free. THEN call me the other night and says "Oh well another breeder wants them for 20" so I come with 20$ then its 20 each. Of course I'd pay to finally get the rats who I had bonded with and loved since they were born... I just cant ****** believe that. So then I had to scrape together an extra 20 just to take my rats home... I do not appreciate that. Not only that, but you gave Kims rat (who she already said she would buy for 10$) to a "breeder" because you "needed money" seriously? you couldn't wait 4 days?... sorry but i feel like i got dicked over... you dont do that to a friend... even if you need money. I get it, but we all do. I didnt have that money. But I did like the the fact that you were basically holding my rats over my head. I was afraid that if i couldnt get the 40, the rats thats were promised to me would be taken away. That is not proper business management. And that a poor friend to. But now you you have your money. You babies are thriving no worries there. But I just want you to know you really hurt me and broke my trust. So you got your money, but was worth the cost.
I also don't appreciate that you sold all the other at 10, I had to pay 20 a piece. Even at a petshop dumbo's are 12-13 at most. We paid the highest for the rats and this is someone your considered a friend. I feel taken advantage of.

Breeder: I told you from the start that a breeder offered 20 EACH for them. He wanted them because gataby has huge ears and Conner is a curly dumbo. I NEVER promised them to you for free because let's be frank you charged me 5 a piece for harnesses that cost you nothing but time to make, wereas I not only spent time raising your rats for 5 weeks I also fed and kept them in a clean environment which was money out of mine and jessenias pocket. So 10 each for a rat is fair. However yours was in fact a special case which I already noted above. Sorry if you feel taken advantage of, but it's totally not my fault that you have a hearing problem. If I charged Evan 20 for his two rat which was my standard price what in gods earth made you think you were so special as to get them for free?

It's not a friendship thing. It's business. The same way you not only charged me for harnesses that cost you nothing but also stole from my bonus when you stole the materials for harnesses that I later paid for.

Me: I would have been fine paying the standard fee thats the thing. I offered to pay for them. I was going to pay the 10$ each for the babies. Keeping them in that type of environment as a breeder is your responsibility.
I offered to pay for them from the beginning. The "so i get them for free" part was a joke and thats why i was surprised when you went along with them.

Breeder:Yes but when someone else offers a higer price for something that normally goes for cheaper, the business thing to do is take the higher offer. No auctioneer would in their right mind sell something at a cheaper price when someone else is offering higher. The fact that you wanna start a whole issue and ran your mouth behind my back to people who have no business and no say in my business before talking to me straight from the start does in fact make you a coward but frankly at this point, I don't give a s***. If you had a problem matching my price then you did not need to. Take it how you want, think of it how you want. I'd be more than happy to buy back your rats if there is an issue.

Me: Look at any reputable breeder of any animal. Price is never up for debate or action. They are set prices with set rules and standards for each home. Running a breeding facility and auctioning the babies off makes it no better then any other back-yard-breeder. Don't worry though,rats are in fantastic hands now and have a vert trip on sunday for a yearly check up.

Breeder: Ha! Good hands. I question that considering you know nearly nothing about rats but pretend to know so much.
You got chase in May. Your experienced is limited, which is not a bad thing, but don't pretend to ***ing be a rat expert.

Me: I know quiet enough about their intelligence, their nutrition, and behaviorisms. I studied and researched for many many months before and while i have chase to make sure they they ALWAYS have the best life possible. Do i know everything? No. Am i still learning? Yes. But i know more about most animals then most people know about themselves. I learn genetics so i know what is carries and what i may have to deal with. I know horses, some terrier breeds of dogs, mice genetics and basic rat genetics. I know warning signs of many illnesses to look out for... Thats my duty as a pet owner. I don’t clam to know everything. But, I do know a lot.

Breeder: Honestly. I didn't bother to read that last message because I need to direct my attention to something more important than you because, contrary to what mommy and daddy may have told you, you are not the most important thing in the world. Bye.

She obviously doesn't know my parents... HAHA (forgive me if there are any curse words i forgot to block out.)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Geez. I think you had some really good point and it was probably good to confront your feelings. I am not as brave as you are! I wouldn't have said anything. That auctioning off the rats and "even keeping them in a clean and healthy for you" (whatever she/he said) made my stomach turn. You are right that is his/her job as a breeder.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yeah this person claims to understand business, but a professional businessperson would have set prices and doesn't shift things around. The point is to make people WANT to recommend you and come back, not run away disgusted. At lease you got your boys though. I can see why Connor was wanted by others, he is precious! That coat is amazing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts