Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been two and a half weeks now that I've had my ratties. They have warmed up to me pretty fast and now enjoy my presence. So three days ago I figured it would be time to try and start training them.

So I set up a little litter box for them, and I figured it would take them a couple weeks to get the hang of it. But by day two they were both using the litter box! I was so excited today. I feel so proud of my little ratties, they're so smart!

Anyone else have similar potty training stories?

·
Registered
527 Posts
wow, this is like deja-vu..
i started litter training my girls on sunday, and they're using the pan consistently already.
hurray for clever ratties!
they do still pee in their nest though..to mark it as theirs, i guess. :wink:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I started litter training my girls about a week ago, and they still haven't fully gotten the hang of it. I think my youngest, Gwendolyn, is the biggest culprit (she's so tiny, I can recognize her poops better than any of the other girls!) I'm just glad that Sweetness is taking so well to it... I've had her for about a month, and she still poops almost every time I take her out of the cage. Lukily, she's pretty good about finding the litter box during free range play when she needs it, though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you litter train them? I tried to get mine to learn and all she anted to do is dig the litter out (even when I put poops in there and tried putting dirty bedding in it to let her know that's what it is for.... She also likes to try to squeeze behind the box and thusly pushes it all over the cage

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey, that's great! My girls have been using the box about 90% of the time since I brought them home. The one other place they seem to go is in their bed when they are sleeping.
I cleaned their cage for the first time on Thursday and was surprised at how much they had used the box and how little was in their bedding. I thought this fact would convince my mom (she is visiting) that rats make great pets, but she just shrugged her shoulders at me. She did let Dance sniff her today though. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts