Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night i slept down stairs on the sofa with the ratties, as we are in the middle of decorating our bedroom.

The rats were chasing and pinning each other down, and really squeaking and squealing. I was so afraid of them getting hurt, i stayed awake with them all night! :(

Is this normal rat behaviour? or do i have some serious problems? :?:

I have never slept downstairs before, so i have been unaware of what they get up to, during the day they are the best of friends, snuggling up and grooming one another :?:

they are males all under 1 year old by the way!

·
Registered
506 Posts
It sounds to me like they are trying to figure out their packing order. It's pretty normal, my boys do the same thing. A pretty commonly used rule is no blood, no foul.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply, it just sounds so awful hearing them squeaking and squealing! there has been NO blood and none of them have any visable signs of fighting (scratches/sores).

So once they have figured out who is boss, will this behaviour stop do you know?

thankyou again :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
How funny you should say this , the last couple of night my 9week old rattie girls have been making fighting / squeaking sounds , and i hear scuffling , all i do now is make a noise so they are aware i am about (The angel of there cage in my room doesnt allow them to see im in the room in bed. also i havnt seen any signs of blood/scratches and my ratties are fine throuout the day as well , playing snuggling ect
Jess x

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Rats at play sound like they're killing each other! I have a bustah of a bruiser in my boy group who is obsessed with bossing the younger two around. He's not violent (yet!) but he turns games and regular dominance tussles into a version of world war 3 - or at least, that's what it sounds like. Igloos go flying, hammocks get torn down - but on close inspection, no one is hurt behond the odd little scratch.

I wouldn't worry too much - rats will be rats! As long as there is no vicious behaviour, blood being drawn etc, just leave them too it.

If they DO get a little too carried away and it makes you too uncomfortable, maybe get a smaller cage (it can always double up as a sick cage if need be) and separate the main culprit in a time out for 10/15 minutes to cool off. That's what I do. Afterwards, they're fine again

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
When I first got my boys they kept me up at night with all the squealing, I was so sure something was wrong!

Then I started sleeping with a fan on... it helped me learn to tune them out. They can still be heard, but only when they're really loud. :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
All night long i can hear Artemis rustling around and sometimes loudly bruxing... It's really annoying, even with the fan on! :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Mine were doing again last night - im sure one is trying to hump eachother..they are all female (or so im told and i hope!!) but my mums females she has 3 females as well..me and my mum saw them humpin last night well one wanted to hump the other but the other one didnt entertain it at all...is this normal

Jess x

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
junior_j said:
Mine were doing again last night - im sure one is trying to hump eachother..they are all female (or so im told and i hope!!) but my mums females she has 3 females as well..me and my mum saw them humpin last night well one wanted to hump the other but the other one didnt entertain it at all...is this normal

Jess x
Yep. Humping is one rat asserting their dominance towards the other. My girls are famous for it - sometimes it even turns into a hump-train :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, you have all put my mind at rest! :D

RATION1802 Thanks so much that is a very good idea about having a smaller cage for time out! (jail hehe!) i might head to the local pet store at the weekend and see what i can get. :wink:

Forensic, that is a good idea about using a fan to flush out the noise, but its too cold here in england hehe! :lol:

hopefully the bedroom will be finished tomorrow so i wont have to sleep downstairs yay! :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ration1802 said:
:D

I use Savic's Cambridge Hamster Cage as a QT/Sick/Time out cage. It's a little on the pricey side (£50 from Pets at Home) but great at multi-purposing once the levels have been removed.

http://www.bitsforpets.com/index.php?cPath=47_48_298
thanks for the link, that looks like a great "jail" cage hehe! i have a pets at home right near me, so i will have a look there tomorrow! thankyou :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
My girls do it all the time , wrestling , pinning each other down , squeeking and eeping , I find it really entertaining to watch ! Im sure theyre just playing and having fun.

Sometimes my females even "hump" each other , which ive been assured is a dominance thing 8O

There has been maybe 1 or 2 occasions where it sounded like it got a bit rough but my dominant female realised she was maybe playing too rough and backed off.

All in all im dead proud of my girlies !

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ration1802 said:
Yep. Humping is one rat asserting their dominance towards the other. My girls are famous for it - sometimes it even turns into a hump-train :lol:
Lmao, Ration; this is the funniest thing I have heard all day. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts