Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
My baby PEW girls, Miri and Bean
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I got two 9 week old girls today. My last pair of rats were older and less active. My new girls are very playful. They play fight a lot. At least, I think that's what they're doing. But now Bean flinches and jumps every time Miri moves like she's scared of her. Is it not play after all? I'm worried about her.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They will also chase each other around the cage. Both of them. But Bean is the only one who did that flinch thing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bean also appears to be eating the aspen bedding, is there something wrong with her?

Registered
I think that it is just play fighting. Try to observe more closely about the Aspen. That could be really bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So an update:

It appears Miri is trying to have sex with Bean. She will chase Bean around, sniff at her butt, then jump on top of her. She kind of pounces on her, pushing her face in between Bean's shoulder blades. Bean will squeak and run away. Miri has been chasing Bean around the cage all night. Bean will only do the jumpy thing whenever Miri comes near her. I don't know if that's body language for 'yes let's have children' or if she's scared it or what. I also have this little hut that only Miri goes in. When Miri's in there, sometimes Bean will try to join her. Miri will chase Bean out of it. Bean has never gone in there when Miri isn't in there. However, they both sleep together in their hammock. Maybe Miri is just asserting dominance, I don't know.

Also, Bean has not tried to eat the bedding since, so I think she was just trying to figure out what it was and if it was food as she had newspaper instead of aspen and a different food at the shelter.

Registered
Hm... were they feeders, breeder rats, or something else? And are you positive about their sex?

It鈥檚 perfectly normal for babies to play but it sounds like there could be something going on & I鈥檇 be concerned if Miri is trying to display dominance so young... Do you think you could get a video of some of their interactions?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their foster mom told us that they were born in foster care. The mother was surrendered when she was pregnant. They definetly look female to me. I was told they were the only girls in their litter. They were housed together for a while so if one was male I think we'd have babies already. I'll try to get a video of it. This only happened last night.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a Shadow The Rat video on rats going into heat. This is what it looked like whenever Miri went on top of Bean. (not them by the way)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Registered
Okay, yes, I should have clarified that humping is to be expected even between female rats (both for dominance and in response to other rats being in heat). If it doesn鈥檛 happen again for a few days, then I would assume it is due to Bean being in heat.

I would also keep an eye out with the flinching, it could be that she is just less eager to play than her sister. Have you seen her eating the aspen again?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not seen her eating the aspen since, but she is also just sleeping with her sister in their hammock. Until I can post a video, I'll try to describe the flinching. Bean would freeze for a bit, then do small little jumps, kind of propelling herself forward. Have you ever tried to jump without bending your knees? That's what the jumps were like. Once Miri tried to hump her, Bean would run off and stop jumping.

Reactions: Rats4All

Registered
The small little jumps could be her popcorning so it could be typical rat behavior鈥 young females are especially energetic. I鈥檓 glad that she hasn鈥檛 been eating the aspen again, hopefully it was just some weird thing that happened once.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At 10 weeks their balls should be noticible if they're males, right? Because I don't see any.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bean has not been doing the jumpy thing so it must have been something to do with her being in heat. I also am going to buy them some chew toys as they were chewing on their cage a lot last night. The bars, the ramps, the platforms, it's not like they're trying to escape, they just want to chew. I think that Bean wasn't eating the bedding after all, she was just chewing it.

Registered

I managed to get some footage of similar behaviors between some of my girls during out of cage time. If you watch, you鈥檒l see that neither seems stressed and they're both bouncy and playful.

Does that look like what you saw between your girls?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep that's the humping- I haven't seen the weird jumpy behavior since, I think it was either popcorning or jumping because of being in heat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts