Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the week I was grounded Dela learned how to jump out of the playpen I had made. I was afraid of her hurting herself falling off of the playpen so I just went ahead and removed it. I rat-proofed my room and now they're just allowed free-range throughout my entire room.

However, I noticed that now they don't really seem interested in playing with me... They love to come out but they won't run up and climb on me like they did in the playpen. I tried putting them in the bathroom with me for immersion and they acted wonderfully, playing with me, climbing on me, letting me pick them up without running off, etc.. But once they're in free-range in my room this disappears. They'll run under their cage instead of letting me pet them and they don't want me to pick them up at all. They don't mind me petting them in their cage though?Did I do something wrong or is it just that they only climbed me before to get somewhere? I would like for them to play with me in my room too, so I don't have to lock us all in the bathroom to play... Is my room just too large of an area and they would prefer to play with all of the fun stuff in there instead of me?

I was also wondering what I should do about their protein. I have the adult oxbow food and I know I need to supplement protein for my young babies but how much do I give and how often? Neera also does not take food (Except cheerios? XD) out of my hand, but it I just leave it there Dela will eat all of it and then she'll get way too much and Neera won't get any. Is there a trick to enticing her to eat it?

·
Registered
955 Posts
This is normal behaviour - you're old news right now, while the large room is exciting, a tad scary and new! They don't want you to pick them up because it interrupts their ratty investigations! Mine where the same when I moved from the bathroom to the living room, but after a while they were all over me again. Now I can't walk across the room without rats launching themselves up my trouser legs :p They just need to settle into the new space.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. XD I was hoping it was that. It's been a few days and I've noticed improvement but I wanted to ask to make sure I shouldn't do anything. ^-^

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Don't be afraid to include yourself in their games... be playful chase them, let them chase you, roll things around or tease them with one of those feather on a stick cat toys... If you feel left out, just join in... Rats don't send formal written invitations for play dates, when they play anybody can join in.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll definitely try to start doing that. I've been afraid of frightening them if I was too playful but maybe I was misinterpreting their running as fear when they were accepting the game? I guess I need to get over my own fears of frightening them or making them wary of me by doing something new with them...

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Rats are rough and tumble little animals my daughter tossed them around like rag dolls when she was little and even our part wild rat seemed to enjoy the crazier games...

Yes when you get an old self important rat they tend to prefer to maintain their dignity, but sometimes they will let loose and just play with you too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts