Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i started immersion last night, but think i went about it the wrong way.
I cant risk getting them out downstairs because if 1 gets out there too many places he could disappear.

So i took the cage to the bathroom.
I opened the door to let them out as they pleased.
Phineas litterally jumped out of the cage and was sniffing around but wouldnt start too far, he also wouldnt let me go anywhere near him.
Ferb was more cautious, he came to the door sniffed around but would not come out. So i turned my attention to Phineas, as he was out.
I tried him with treats but he just would not come near me, in the end i tried the method of "you are being picked up if you like it or not" he didnt like this and was far to quick (i couldnt catch him)
About 45mins later Ferb had built up a bit more courage. He came to the edge of the cage, climbed up and jumped on to my lap, he let me stroke him but would not let me pick him up, he ran into the cage everytime i tried.
Also he would go anywhere other than my lap, he would lean down to sniff the floor but would not set foot on it.
In all, i spent about 2.5 hours with them. It seemed like some progress was made with Ferb as he would come on to my lap. But not as much as i expected. Was i going about it all wrong???

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Try a smaller space and worry less about handling them and more them getting used to you being around and petting them after they are used to you.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would take them out of the cage and into the bathroom with you. So they are forced to be out and about. They will probably then see you as protection rather then the cage and hang out on/near you most of the time while in the bathroom.

·
Registered
955 Posts
They're gonna be scared and uncomfortable about being picked up and handled at first, but you just gotta keep in mind that it's not going to kill them, and keep soldiering on. The more you touch and pick them up the more confident and tame they will become. Babies can be skittish so providing them with a blanket on your lap to explore, or let them hide inside your hoody, and then stoke them while they feel safe under the fabric. I would also lose the cage. The less places to hide from you the better - they need to be interacting with you during immersion and not hiding. Good luck!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Sometimes a little follow the leader or play chase helps to break the ice when they aren't ready to be picked up, it's about having a little fun and being a little bit fun when you are dealing with pups... Sure they have to learn to be picked up and yes you want to get milestones behind you, but most importantly you want them to get to know you and interact with you and respond to you, and you want to be responding to them too... lots of baby steps make for one big step and sometimes that goes faster.

And no, that's not the wrong way, you are doing just fine, it takes time for you and your rats to figure each other rats out... I've picked up and carried rats right in the pet shop and I've had rats flee in terror and take quite a bit of time not to see me as a giant predator...

It depends on your rats personality and prior experiences and how good you are at feeling them out and understanding them... Make it playful and fun, it's not a race.

Best luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
On top of everybody else's wonderful suggestions, maybe try and feed them off a spoon. Some plain yogurt, or baby food would probably entice them to eat. And the length of the spoon from your hand would make them feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also maybe put them in the bathtub with you (Place a towel down). And put a blanket over your legs to make a nice cave for them to hide in. That's how I got my current boys used to me. (They were from a breeder however, and were already used to being handled)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts