Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor babas had dust mites, thanks to their bedding, I used beaphar small animal spot on to treat and they seem to be completely mite free.

However, is it still common for them to be itching? They also seem more lethargic than usual. And Milo, eldest boy, just seems to have slowed right down. Is it common for them to be so slow after dealing with mites/fleas etc? Is there anything I can do to make them feel better?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hm, never heard of that kind of Ivermectin before.
Did you treat them once a week for three weeks? Ivermectin only kills adult mites, so you have to treat for three weeks to wipe out the eggs.
I find Revolution to be a much easier solution, if you can get some.
Sounds like the mites are still there. They shouldn't be having symptoms if they are gone.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's pretty common in the uk, and it's one pippette for 4 weeks effective treatment per rat. I read up the beaphar spot on and it seems to be one of the best for the UK, as unfortunately you can't get revolution here.
I'm going to get another pack and continue the treatment once more when the 4 week period has passed, but maybe if I took them to the vet to be sure as they don't have any other signs of having mites (visible anyways).

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Depending on the length and severity of infestation, they could be suffering from anemia. Try introducing some foods rich in iron.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they had them for at least 2 months, but they only became truly visible when I started treatment, so that's probably the case. They get spinach once a day anyway, which I know is good for iron and I've just bought some green beans (served boiled) and they have blueberries every day too, which will help with the absorption. So what else would be safe to eat and high in iron? I've looked at the sticky but I'm kind of stuck. I know asparagus is good but I don't know if they should eat them? I don't want to risk making them sick(er)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Try some liver or oysters.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Beapher spot on is fine as long as you got the right size for your rats (there are 2, one does larger rats, the other those below 300g), dont ever be tempted to get the bob martins one as it doesnt contain ivermetcin and is actually useless.

I second the iron rich foods, you can get a really handy liver paste sold for dogs over here, i like to have a tube in for times like this and disguising meds (my guys love it) its also a good copper booster. You can also get iron rich water sachets sold for pregnant women and its nice to have a couple of these in and just adda bit to some wet food or make up some egg food with it. I had a topaz doe here for having a litter and then post surgery, red eyed dilute rats (topaz and buff) have issues with bleeding so you need to be very concious of iron levels and topping her up. With liver paste and iron water she did really well, even though her surgery was pretty horrific with the amount of blood lost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts