Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! It's been awhile! Unfortunately, I had to leave my baby Ashe behind in Ohio when I moved back home. I miss having a fur baby very much. :( And I really want to get a new rat or two. The problem is, I have a varying schedule. I work for Walmart with an open schedule, which they love to give me random shifts. I was wondering what kind of impact this would have on my baby(ies). If it would stress them out too much, then I definitely want to wait awhile before getting my babies. I generally have a later shift (from about 10:30am to 11pm is usually the latest I get). But my managers love to schedule me for the random 5 am shift every once in awhile (like today, I had a 6:30am shift)

To better illustrate how crazy my schedule can be, here's a sample from this week:
Mon off
Tues 9am-4pm
Wed 2pm-11pm
Thurs 11:30am-8pm
Fri off
Sat 10:30am-5:30pm
Sun 9am-4pm

Would this kind of back and forth put a ratty under too much stress? I know I have the time to dedicate to him/her/them when I'm not working, I'm just worried about when I AM working.

If one breed fares better in this kind of environment than another, please feel free to tell me! I love hooded/caped rats, but I'm more than willing to get a baby who will fit my lifestyle! Thank you for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
The rats are not different breeds, they're just physical differences :) Rats are great pets because they can hold different schedules just fine. Make sure to have them in pairs at least, as they not only need company as a basic need but also will do better with no schedule this way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also work for Walmart, so I can totally understand about the crazy schedules. My babies don't seem to mind it at all; I've never had a set schedule for playing with them since I got them. As long as you;re giving them time out of the cage every day (at least an hour is recommended, if not more), then they'll be just fine. Bonding time with them in very important, so as long as you can make time every day to interact with them, then not having a set schedule won't make them unhappy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! And Nanashi, thank you for telling me that there aren't different breeds too! I actually didn't know that! I know that there are two types of rat, regular rats and rats that were specially bred to not have Mycoplasma Pulminosis. And I know that there's like, Norwegian, hooded, caped, fancy, etc. I didn't know that just referred to their coloring. You learn something new every day I guess!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
All the pet rats are going to be Norway rats, and those mycoplasma free ones are woefully usually lab rats that you can rescue if you're lucky. They're a pain to keep though since any nonmyco free rats can basically kill them by passing it along to a naive immune system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts