Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna cry right now... I put my baby boys cage next to my girl Kit Kat's cage on the ground for a second to figure out a place to put them and like 5 minutes after all I hear is this ear piercing screeching that went on and on. I turned around and saw Kit Kat had one of the babies hand in her mouth through the bars and the baby was stuck screeching. I panicked and just screamed "STOP!". She let go but I think his hand is broken. I looked at it and he isn't moving it. He's cleaning normally, but his hand isn't moving like it does when they clean...

Kit Kat has had history of biting other rats through bars, thus why she is alone for now, but I didn't even put them real close next to each other. They were a good ways away (I thought) from her cage.

I feel so horrible that I wasn't careful enough! =/ I'm scared that he is gonna be crippled his whole life now. Can a vet see a 5 week old baby rat? And if not, how should I help him?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do you have a vet who knows rats? I can't imagine them refusing to see a rat based on its age. I would just call the clinic and explain what happened and see if they have any advice for you. They might at least have some information on how to reduce the pain, because if it is broken it's probably really hurting. :/

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah, there really isn't anything to do for a broken rat limb. My big boy broke his back foot when I first got him (boys were roughhousing in the cage and his foot got caught between the bars). Anyway the vet made a point to mention that there is no possibility of a tiny splint or anything. She said she'd tried dozens of different techniques but they always got torn off one way or another. So the only way for healing is some pain relief, and possible separation if they play too much in the cage. That was at least my vets opinion but some people suggest keeping them together for moral support. I had to separate because my other boy was a feisty one and wouldn't leave Duke alone even though he was obviously impaired.

Try not to be too upset about it. Accidents happen. They are too smart for their own good sometimes and we can't always expect what they are going to do. They are really tough too, so I'm sure he'll be fine in the end.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Aw poor thing, that sounds terrifying for the baby :(
But its not your fault, hope you dont feel too horrible, since you left a good amount of space between the cages.. Guess the baby just got too curious and reached too far towards the other cage
Hope he heals up fine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts