Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to keep two ladies from my friend's oops litter. The only trouble is, she can't find any homes for the last three males, so I might take them in. Is it safe to keep them in the the same room as long as I make sure thay have no contact with each other? I would build a barrier to put around one of the cages to guard against any... errors. Especially since they are brothers and sisters!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The *best* thing to do, to prevent any accidents, is to sputer (either spay the girls, neuter the boys, or sputer all - neutering boys is often the cheapest option) and let them live together. No worries, no accidents this way.

Failing that, the second *best* thing to do is keep them in separate rooms. This way, if someone(s) gets out, at least there's a good chance they won't go visiting.

Failing that, making sure cages are always secure is important. Keep in mind that they will be able to smell each other, and you may have a rat or 5 that is determined to meet the boys/girls... Some cages are more escape-proof than others. Many people do keep mixed genders... But remember, too... Many people have oops litters.

A barrier is an idea, but rats can jump pretty high... Higher than you'd think. Also, if there's anything nearby that maybe could be climbed on, they could jump past the barrier too. Something to think about.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably be able to keep the rats in different rooms from one another, but my mother might not be pleased with having rats in the living room. :?

Oh well. She was the one who agreed to me getting rats. I'll just have to remind her of that little fact. :twisted:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have heard it's not really a big deal if rats inbreed because it doesn't seem to cause defects and deformities in that species. In fact thats how some people over time have ended up with certain types like color and what not. I can't remember who or where I heard that from. But yeah the best way is to get them all fixed and in the mean time keep them a part if you want to be 100% sure they wont. I'm agreeing with Kimmiekins.

·
Registered
981 Posts
AceYourFace said:
I have heard it's not really a big deal if rats inbreed because it doesn't seem to cause defects and deformities in that species.
I don't see how this is possible. It's simply a matter of very basic genetics, which is the only kind of genetics I understand. Let's say there is a recessive gene for, I don't know, baldness. If you breed two rats from the same family, your chances of the babies having baldness is much higher than if you bred your rat with one known not to have this recessive gene in its bloodline.

Well, that's it in a very limited way with no math. Truly the bigger concern here isn't that they are in the same family, but unwanted pregnancies are, well, unwanted.

I've never had a major issue with rats escaping, so I don't see a big deal with them being in the same room. (Is disease a possible issue here? I think you mentioned they are coming from the same household). However for safeties sake it might just be best to have them in different rooms. That way you can't accidentally put one in the wrong cage or something like that.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
AceYourFace said:
I have heard it's not really a big deal if rats inbreed because it doesn't seem to cause defects and deformities in that species. In fact thats how some people over time have ended up with certain types like color and what not. I can't remember who or where I heard that from. But yeah the best way is to get them all fixed and in the mean time keep them a part if you want to be 100% sure they wont. I'm agreeing with Kimmiekins.
Most of the 'fancy' colors are recessive, so to show up they have to be bred to another rat with that recessive gene. When they showed up, they were bred to produce more of the colors. The result is that rats (like most 'pet' animals (and people, cough)) tend towards being somewhat (way back) inbred. But inbreeding can also result in the negative recessives showing up, which is why it should always be avoided, unless you're certain of the genetics you're toying with (I suppose)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I started a genetics debate! O.O

Anyways, I don't think I would have to quarantine any of them because they are coming from the same household. And I really don't think there would be a chance of me getting the cages mixed up because one of them is a store-bought cage and the other is a scary-looking Frankencage. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would at least investigate the possibility of a neuter... calling a few vet hospitals, explaining the situation and getting a price quote on how much it would cost to get all three done at the same time, you might be surprised at the price if someone decides to cut you a deal on the multiple rats. (My vet only charges me for one animal whenever I bring in my two girls). This would also be the "funnest" option in the long run, since then they can all live together, and have fun together.

Remember, no matter how much effort you put into keeping them apart, it only takes a second (literally), and even the most careful rat owner can have an accident. As well, can you honestly commit to you being the one who will be taking care of your rats for the next 3ish years? That means no vacations, no visiting friends overnight, etc. One of the common themes I've seen in oops litter threads is that they occur often when someone else is watching your rats for you... someone else who may not be the expert that you are at keeping them apart, or who aren't as familiar with them to be able to scoop them up before that literal one second that results in an oops.

*shrug* if it was me, I'd at least work the phones to know what a neuter would cost me, to know what my options are. I'd much rather be able to relax with my rats than constantly be on the watch for the dash at the other cage.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
and to give an opposing view... i have 8 girls and 7 boys... none of them speutered... and they all live in the same room, just on opposite sides. the only one who has shown any vague interest in the opposite gender is meggsy, and she should be done with "ratopause" by now, as she is almost 2. spazz is the only one of the big girls who could get out of the ferret cage, but she doesnt realise it... although the first thing i do every morning is check to see where she is, lol!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts