Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I was wondering what seed mixes everyone includes with their lab blocks.. Does anyone use a bird seed mix, and if so, what kind? Or if you have recommendations on which types of seeds to include that would be great too. I'd rather buy a pre-mixed bag of seeds than mix my own, but I can do so if there isn't a good commercially available option.

I use the hamster / gerbil version of FM brown's tropical carnival natural diet already for my hamsters, so was wondering if the rat/mouse natural version would be a good addition to their lab blocks? They get native earth blocks (harlan teklad 2018) along with treats like veggies, dry pasta, sunflower seeds, meal worms, etc.

Also, if you have any input on how frequently and in what quantity I should add a seed mix to their diet, that would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The problem with seed mixes is that rats will pick out what they want... which is why you really can only give your rat lab blocks as a main food. Like you mentioned the native earth blocks with healthy treats is perfect. Seed mixes aren't really healthy but they are so much fun for an occasional treat!

I bought a secondary cage and a bag of seed mix food came with it. I thought, "Ugh... what am I going to do with this?". Instead of throwing it out, I put a little handful in their foraging box and they had a blast scavenging for seeds.

Seed mixes will never be as healthy as veggies, pasta, ect... but I highly suggest trying some out as a bit of ratty fun!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input! I'm just considering adding one to give them some additional variety. I may hold off for now and continue the treats I'm currently giving and see how they do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't actually bought a seed mix, but the first cage I bought came with a bag of seed mix. I really only give it to them when they're free ranging, to make free range more fun and as an incentive to come out of their cage (dealing with 2 out of 3 shy ratties.) I believe it was the gerbil/rat seed mix from petsmart.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I make my own seed mix that is nutritionally complete in itself to supplement lab blocks... Mostly because I think it'd be boring to have to eat the same thing every day with little variety... This helps a little.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Blocks are designed to be 100% complete nutrition, so adding a seed mix will just skew the balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts