Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, I've got 1 male rat and 1 female and I was going to get Mr mousey nuetered but decided I didn't want to take the risk! I've now got another girl for a friend for Rossie my female and their getting on like a house on fire! I want to now get Mr Mousey a friend but due to them being both males and Mr Mousey being about 1 year old, are there any precautions I should take? I don't want them to start fighting and end up with 3 cages in my room and 2 rats on their own! My females got along great, I just want to know if there are any tips of things I should know about 2 male rats meeting for the first time? Also, My little Mr mousey is really greedy, I feed him a few nuggets twice a day - What should I do if I do get another Rat? He gets over weight whe I put too much food in his cage - I wouldn't want to deprive the new boy any food cause he's so Fat! lol

Any help or tips would be great! Cheers! :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Get a younger rattie, so he won't be so threatened and then if he doesn't get on with Mr. Mousey you could get him neutered to join the girls.

Introduce them slowly!

What are you feeding them? Perhaps you could have set meal times or feed them separately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was going to get 1 about 8 weeks old so hopefully he shouldn't feel threatened! He gets along great with these 2 girls(under supvision obviously), he's not really that interested in them(he actually prefers to eat), Probably cause I had him about 6 moths before I got Rossie - He's really indapendant - But, I don't want him near them, I don't want the responsibilty of rehoming the babies, I'm afrade they'd go to bad homes or snake feeders in desguise - So I want to get him a friend for when I'm not around!

I don't mind feeding them separate though, aslong as they get enough food I'm willing to put in the time and patience with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went to the pet shop to get a little boy but they were 12 weeks old - I asked the lady what she thought of indroducing 2 male rats and she says it's quite risky.

So, I've got 2 options: 1, get Mr mousey neatered and put him in with the other 2 girls or 2, buy a new young 8 week old baby and take the risk of the fighting and then either end up with 2 neutered rats and 4 all together or have 3 cages, 2 male rats on their own and 2 females living together.....hmmm - I serioulsly don't know. Any one had any experience indroducing a baby male rat to a 1 year old? I would buy a new cage so it's a new environment for both too, I don't know if that would help? Or do you have experience in neutering your rat? what are the success rates? I'd never forgive my self if he'd die whilst getting it done(knock on wood) :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts