Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!
My boy Tingle has an infected bite on his tail, from an unsuccessful intro with a rescue (everything was going fine until they went into the cage, when the rescue rattie flipped out after being in with them and quite happy for two hours). It looked to be healing, until yesterday when I realised it had suddenly gotten worse. I had been checking it every day, but for two days I was extremely busy and barely had 5 minutes to think, and since it'd been healing, I assumed it'd be fine. I've now learned my lesson big time :(

He went to the vet, who gave me baytril, hibiscrub and metacam. All three he hates, but we're pushing through and making sure he's getting his dosages as best we can! I was wondering if there's anything extra I can do? I have saline mixed up and have been flushing it with that as well, to keep it as clean as I can.

Thank you.

ETA:
He is in a hospital cage, next to his brothers, as they weren't leaving his tail alone whenever it got cleaned. He leaves it alone, but his brothers are another story..

·
Registered
955 Posts
Are you mixing the meds with something to make them more palatable? Some favourites are baby food, honey or vitamin paste.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only mixed them once so far, as he's only had two doses and the first showed he wasn't going to take them easy. I have tried chicken broth, but he refused it and knocked it out of my hand...I'm going to try some more with his 5pm meds, though, until I find something he likes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts