Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An infection appeared on Sawney's tail a couple of weeks ago. We've been treating it with hydrocortisone and Mupirocin 2%. Some days it appears to be improving but then gets worse again. Being very consistent in applications several times daily. She's aggravating it by licking the ointment off and chewing on her tail. Been watching and have ruled out cage mate contributing to the problem.

Any suggestions appreciated. Sawneys is Female, approximately 18 months old and otherwise in good health. Good appetite, plays well and loves interacting and exploring (an entire bedroom is dedicated to their supervised exploration and play). We keep their cage clean (daily wipedowns and weekly deep clean top to bottom). Lots of social interaction with three humans. Had a mammary tumor removed about 8 months ago with uneventful recovery.
Eye Cat Gesture Carnivore Felidae

Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers Fawn Wood
Leg Human body Comfort Gesture Finger

Registered
Twig and Sprig 馃挄
An infection appeared on Sawney's tail a couple of weeks ago. We've been treating it with hydrocortisone and Mupirocin 2%. Some days it appears to be improving but then gets worse again. Being very consistent in applications several times daily. She's aggravating it by licking the ointment off and chewing on her tail. Been watching and have ruled out cage mate contributing to the problem.

Any suggestions appreciated. Sawneys is Female, approximately 18 months old and otherwise in good health. Good appetite, plays well and loves interacting and exploring (an entire bedroom is dedicated to their supervised exploration and play). We keep their cage clean (daily wipedowns and weekly deep clean top to bottom). Lots of social interaction with three humans. Had a mammary tumor removed about 8 months ago with uneventful recovery. View attachment 310357
View attachment 310358 View attachment 310356
Liquid Bottle Fluid Bottle cap Plastic bottle

You can purchase Blu Kote at most hardware stores and online. You apply 3 coats to the tail infection and it protects it, helps heal it, and when she chews on her tail, she will be chewing on the blue kote and not her tail. It stains anything it hits, you can spray it on a cotton pad and apply it that way too. Pretty cool stuff! I love it and find it handy to have! I hope this helped and I wish you guys the best of luck! 馃挍

Registered
You can purchase Blu Kote at most hardware stores and online. You apply 3 coats to the tail infection and it protects it, helps heal it, and when she chews on her tail, she will be chewing on the blue kote and not her tail. It stains anything it hits, you can spray it on a cotton pad and apply it that way too. Pretty cool stuff! I love it and find it handy to have! I hope this helped and I wish you guys the best of luck! 馃挍
I'd check with the vet before using any OTC topic stuff. It may not work with the current treatment.

The vet can put a small e-collar on to keep the rat from picking at the wound. Your vet should have access to purchasing a small rodent one from a veterinary supplier. One can also be fashioned with X ray film. I had a vet who made one for a gerbil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: We have been treating the portion of the tail that she was chewing on and wrapped it with a strip of elastic tape and it actually has stayed secure. Changed wrap and treated, rinse, repeat. Now she is chewing on the next section of her tail that is below the wrapped section. Sounds like we're due for a trip to the vet next week. Going to try to locate or diy a cone for now and continue wrapping more of her tail.

Registered
It's possible it might be a reaction to a food allergy. You could try an elimination diet to see if it helps.
If it is an "infection" (bacterial) it's important not to use hydrocortisone as steriods only make infections worse. I think a vet visit is a good idea. They can do a skin scraping to check for parasites, infection etc. I wouldn't try any more random medication until seeing the vet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's possible it might be a reaction to a food allergy. You could try an elimination diet to see if it helps.
If it is an "infection" (bacterial) it's important not to use hydrocortisone as steriods only make infections worse. I think a vet visit is a good idea. They can do a skin scraping to check for parasites, infection etc. I wouldn't try any more random medication until seeing the vet.

I agree. We'll keep a close eye on her until Monday. I'm planning to take her in first thing. It really has me concerned.

Thanks for your reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts