Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daphne went to the vets tonight, as her face has begun to swell on the side of her 'good' eye.

She's going in tomorrow for x-rays of her eye. The vet I saw tonight believes there may be a build up of pus behind her eye - in which case a needle will have to be inserted behind her eye to drain the pocket.

She thinks if the infection is deep set she may possibly lose the sight in her "good" eye too. Cause? Probably stress due to the previous eye removal.

Such a young little girl, she's not even 1 yet :(

Her socket is healing well though - got the first porphyrin discharge today, so we know that's working still. It's semi-open but the vet doesn't seem too worried about it. But they will check it over tomorrow while she's asleep for her x-rays.

For the record, when someone says 'use Baytril as a preventative to STOP infection' I won't believe them :p (not serious here, but trust me to pick the rat who seems immune to anti-biotics!)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
This is not sounding like fun for our brave Daph. :(

I wonder if their is an infection deep inside that is affecting her eyes. You might want to mention Chloramphenicol Palmitate. Its a strong drug that is especially good at penetrating tissues (like eyes) that other abs won't.

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/chloramphenicol.php

or if there's pus, get it cultured and a sensitivity test run on it. This will give you the exact med or combo that will fight the bacteria.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've printed that page off and will be giving it to my dad to take with her tomorrow morning. Thank you!

I'll certainly talk to them tomorrow about getting those sort of tests done. I'm going to fight to keep this eye darnit!

Other than the swelling, the eyeball itself doesn't look infected yet. No cloudiness or discharge - but I noticed a smell earlier. Maybe it is, like you say, a deeper infection that's affecting her.

Hopefully we'll get the answers tomorrow and be able to stamp it out. I just hope I've caught it soon enough o_O

·
Registered
486 Posts
You and poor Daphne aren't having the best of luck at the moment.

Maybe once she's over the stress of losing her one eye, her other one may settle down and be okay...?

I hope everything goes okay for her at the vets.

·
Registered
482 Posts
How horrible :(, I do hope she pulls through this one. Sounds like you're doing a great job though, good luck!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
just can't win for trying can ya... man, poor daph. but if worse comes to worse its unlikely she'll be affected much by complete loss of vision. if it is a deeper infection that is appearing in the eyes though, these tests should figure that out and you should be able to get rid of fairly easily. and considering its affecting tissue like the eyes that you can see if it is there it may be affecting other organs as, ones that can't be seen readily. hopefully its just something simple and early. i hope she gets to keep her eye though in anycase. the permawink would be ruined if she lost the other one :lol:

keep up the good fight, our thoughts are with you and daphne

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just quickly updating at work before going to pick Daphne up from the vets.

4 x-rays later and the vet has decided that she has no infection behind the eye and no tumours. She thinks it may be glaucoma (sp?) (as it's effected both eyes, and the pressure in the eye can cause eyeballs to suddenly burst)

So she's got some medicine (£40) for it and the x-rays only cost £50. So quite an expensive day for an 'I think...' conclusion, but at least it's a start.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Poor you, poor Daph, sooo glad to hear there's no deep-seated infection brewing.

Ratguide seems to be down right now but here's the link

ratguide.com/health/eyes/glaucoma.php

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got her back from the vets (she's not happy with me at all!) She has been pampered and treated all day by the nurses, and they've kept her ot in the reception area (behind the desks) to keep an eye on her.

Prognosis; glaucoma (although I don't understand why she said the eyeball is bulging - I don't think it is) but she didn't make any comment towards the 'smell' of the eye. SO I persuaded her (compromised really) to allow me to continue with the antibiotic eye drops AND give her the Trusopt ( http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002660.html ) until next Tuesday, when we'll review the situation. She really wants to treat it aggressively as it's her only eye left.

She showed me the x-rays as well (which was really cool) and apparently the key with eye disorders is to look for symmetry. Both eye sockets are 'airy' / black - which means there's no accummulation of pus or tumours etc. She was really informative! (Surprise, as usually she's evil vet)

She also did a little cosmetic stitch removal in Daffers empty socket, got rid of those nasty pokey out bits and the reaction clumps. She said it was a bit gunky, so she's put anti-biotic ointment in it. But now the stitches are out - it's closed on it's own. Perhaps it was the odd stitches and the reactions that caused the 'openness' of the eye before? Who knows. But I will try and get pics for you later.

Baytril is to be continued - but as I believe it might be infection I may increase the dose a little (as the 0.1ml twice daily is barely keeping it at bay).

It was a bit of a mad night tonight - Lily's crackles had to be sorted, Ritchie's back had to be glued - will this frickin' run of bad luck end?!

Fingers crossed folks.

(Lilspaz, thanks for the link, checking that out now :D )

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pic!

Not the 'good' eye, but the socket - I managed to get this pic while I was in the bath and she was curled up in the corner.

It's looking so much better now that Christina has cleaned it all up. This is without stitches (I think, fairly certain she didn't put any more in) and now 12 days post op

Looking good, huh?

·
Registered
261 Posts
her 'bad eye,' or the one that had surgery is sure looking good. are you going to take her to the vet for the other eye because i think you should. the surgery really worked on the 'bad eye' didn't it. i hope your little baby rattie will turn out to be ok. tell her i wish her all my luck. the needle behind the eye part is the part that gives me the chills. good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's been to the vets - this is her third trip this week for the 'good' eye.

She had the needle behind her eye (it gives me the chills too) and there was no pus or anything.

I'm not a big fan of anything eye related so this has really tested my limits. Lol. The things you do for your furkids!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've gotta say this gave me the willies. I hate "eye things" as well. Gives me the creeps.

On another note she is looking really good, and I'm sending happy vibes to you and your girl!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts