Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I was free ranging Chamois and Wolf yesterday, both seemed to be in great health, running about and generally being boys, wrestling each other etc
And one point Chamois jumped off my knee (I was sitting cross legged) which is a very short drop, and when he hit the ground he squeaked. I didnt exactly see how he landed because I was focused on Wolf. Almost immediately afterwards he was licking the tip of his tail which Ive never seen him do, so i thought he sprained his tail or it just bent weird. Afterwards he was running around fine, Ive got a little toy that he will chase no matter what and he was playing with that running at full speed. So I didnt think much of it.

Today when I checked on him, he was in the cardboard hideout and didnt come out to greet me like he usually does. He still eats fine when I give him food and treats (bran sticks, pine nuts, wheat puffs etc). But I've noticed that he seems to feel pain when he tries to stand on his hind legs, and squeaks almost every time he moves. Hes never ever been this vocal. Sometimes he will squeak and quickly turn around as if something bit him from behind, then he sits there in a slightly hunched position for a while. I bet he thinks that he's going crazy. He definitely minimizes movement too, especially standing up and jumping down from even very low rises. I cant see any external injuries, kind of looks like his back feet or legs are the problem but also nothing visible to the eye.

I took him to the vet today and she gave him some inflammatory painkillers. He had his dose today but he still is experiencing pain when he moves. The vet is unable to tell what exactly he might have injured, and it will require an xray to pinpoint his injuries. She advised me to medicate him for a few days and decide on doing the xray afterwards.

Has anyone had a rat showing these kinds of symptoms/behavior?
The vet said it could be a slipped spinal disc, but he was running fine last night after that weird landing (Im quite sure this is where something happened) though, so if he slipped a disc he shouldnt have been able to run like that..
I feel horrible that he seems to be experiencing such frequent pain :'(

·
Registered
953 Posts
Actually I think I would do as your vet said. It's likely if he was running around fine right afterwards that it was swelling that is causing the later discomfort. However, If he doesn't show signs of improvement it will probably take an xray to know what is going on. Even if it's just a lot of swelling it may need more serious medication, such as a steroid to help with it during the healing process.

No signs of internal bleeding? Blackish/tarry stools, pale skin, front teeth should be orange, if white that isnt' good. Any signs of internal bleeding and you'll need to consider that an emergency visit to the vets.

Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you mimsy. I will be giving him his daily medication and keep monitoring him for sure. Im just really worried at the moment :'(

You're probably right that its something like swelling.. Do their teeth change colors? That is very interesting. As far as I can see the skin is normal color, i cant see any unusual stools either. But Im finding it very difficult to check his teeth without holding him in a way that hurts him.. I tried putting a treat right above his head to make him turn his head upwards but he wont open his mouth wide enough for me to see enough of his teeth. Ill see if I can try again later.
Thank you again for your advice!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've had one who sprained the base of there tail once, which took me a long time to track down, he just started squeaking whenever he was handled. Try very carefuly flexiing his tail starting at the base and moving up. If he squeaks stop. The anti inflammatory meds should see an improvement in a few days to a week if its a standard sprain, a slipped disk or break may take longer and may leave some lasting oddness (one of mine had a very one sided tail, it worked fine but at "rest" it would pull to one side, like wheel tail but sideways)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Isamurat! An injury to the base of the tail would make a lot of sense, I hope its just a sprain :( He is quite active so I ended up letting him free range for a bit tonight (against my previous decision) and he had no problem walking or even hopping a little. Just couldnt stand up on his hind legs. I guess in the cage, there are more things for the tail to get pushed by, which would explain the more frequent squeaking when in the cage.. Glad to hear the pain is likely to ease up soon more or less :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Yesterday (the day after vet) he was still in pain but he was noticeably squeaking less frequently and with less intensity :D
Although the vet said the med is kind of sweet Chamois wouldnt drink/eat it, so I smushed it in with some banana and he happily ate all of it
Today I havent really heard him squeak much so he is definitely getting better! Phew!
Its a little hot here today so he is now chilling on a piece of cool wet fleece I put in for them :)

Thanks mimsy and Isamurat for the advice and kind words!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Sounds like metacam, I had a very weird rat stay here once who would drink it neat lol, others can sense it in any food and avoid it like mad. Sounds like you've got a good boy there. I'm glad he's feeling better

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is metacam! :D
Haha what a weirdo, must've been too easy to medicate him
Theres sometimes a tiny bit of the liquid leftover on the bottom of the food dish and I smear it on my finger to get him to finish every last teeny drop. When he smells just the med but no bananas he usually just turns his nose up at it, but if I insist and put my finger in front of his face again he gives it a few licks as if saying 'okay fiiiine ill eat it' haha
Thank you, hes very quiet now so he seems to be almost healed at the least :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts