Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here feed insects to their ratties? I give mine hissing cockroaches. They love them. They chase them and have a great time. I can't find nutritional facts on roaches, I know they are high in protien.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Cockroaches!!! i can imagine them lovin those. Im pretty sure there no harm in an occasional cockroach, as long as its store bought.

I feed my girls mealworms and waxworms occasionally....superworms i think are too big.
And they do get crickets everyonce in a while too.

Basically, they share the diet of my bearded dragon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I breed my hissers. I feed super worms when I have them. Mealworms and superworms are VERY high in fat so I don't keep them in stock. Anyone know where I can get the nutritional contents for roaches? The place I ordered my roaches from doesn't even know.

·
Registered
489 Posts
i work at a pet store...we dont sell cockroaches but im sure somehow i can find out the nutrition info

·
Registered
6 Posts
I never thought of feeding them insects. Maybe I'll start picking up a few worms at work every now and them. How do you keep the grasshoppers and cockroaches contained until your rats gobble them up, though? I don't really care for the idea of just releasing grasshoppers or roaches into my room.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep the roaches in a 20long with a screen lid. I put vasaline around the top of the tank so they can't climb up. I live in the desert so if any roaches get out they die within a few days. I feed only one roach at a time so I know that they are getting eaten right away. I don't want the roaches to wander around the house and dry up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hmm....I thought waxworms were very high in fat? I could be wrong of course. I've never owned a lizard, just snakes :D
But I've heard of feeding insects to rodents. Good protein and such! I don'tthink I could do it personally. It's part of the reason I can't have lizards as pets.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I never tried insects but im sure my boys would go nut over them. Maybe next time we go for the weekly crickets, I'll pick something out for the boys.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
yeah, they're like little pink tubes of butter. delish.
{{{{BARF}}}}} lol

I just don't think I could feed live bugs to anything again! Our 8th grade pet was a frog (after our bird flew into a window :() and I took him home on the weekends. The feeding was not a good experience for me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This thread reminded me of my first rattie who would hunt flies along the window in my room. It was quite funny to watch! :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have a pet hissing roach right now no rats thou but i will say my bearded dragon loved both the small kind and small hissing roaches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts