Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! :D This past weekend I made the decision to help a coworker and his rattie, Minnie. She had a URI and he didn't have any money to get her treatment. While in the room with him I was able to hold, pet and fall in love with those little whiskers.
I've always been interested in ratties but never took action in learning about them because I have our guinea pigs and no room for another cage at the moment. But now that I've fallen in love with those whiskers I cannot keep myself from learning more and looking forward to the time we can adopt 2 or 3 little ratties.

If you could give an inspired rattie lover some advice, which would you find the most important. I'm sure some may recommend a bit of forum stalking, I am well on my way to doing that. As well as stalking Petfinder. Haha
Below is a Minnie chilling out after being inspected by the vet and her techs.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
This forum isn't so active that you will see a lot of posts on a single thread within a 24 hour period. A lot of rat forums (and other "specialty" forums) are like that, with a large grouping of people focusing on helping with health issues, etc. Simply not enough users to post all the time. ;) So nothing to take personally.

That said, welcome to the wonderful world of rats! Minnie is very cute, she does look quite sick though, the poor dear.

Hm, my top advice would be:
> Learn as much as you can beforehand, read through this forum and do as many Google searches as possible
> Be prepared for common health problems, like URIs
> Get the biggest cage you can afford
> "Adopt, don't shop" ;) [Sounds like that's already your intent with PetFinder, that's great!]

There is soooo much to learn and know about rats. They make awesome pets and I'm a fan of their whiskers too. :p
Also, guinea pigs are great. Love their little wheeking. ^_^

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude, had you asked me 4 years ago if I'd ever own rats, I'd tell you that you were nuts. But now I've owned 5 rats! I can't wait to move to a bigger place and get more! Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
I'm on a guinea pig and also a tropical fish forum they're both pretty active. I just kinda assumed this one would be too. Haha

I do, in fact, plan on getting the largest cage possible. Want to give them so much to climb on, chew on and hide in. I made my guinea pigs a c&c cage and have the thought process to purchase the same supplies and make a rat cage. A rat like Minnie could easily fit her head in the squares. So I'll probably be aiming for a larger rat if going that route with a cage.
Watch me find a way to fit another cage in my house and husband comes home from Michigan with surprise ratties. That'll be the last time he leaves me for his birthday. Mwahahahaha (last year was a surprise kitten)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Clickerratty, could you stack cages? Good cages are the critter nation or martin's. I wouldn't recommend C and C cages as rats need height most of all and can easily jump three foot up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts